time used for engraving

pierre

Elite Cafe Member
hello all,
i see a lot of very beautifull engraving on the forum, but i rarely see how long time have been used to realise the engraving, it will be very interesting to know that. On the gun that I'm engrave at the moment, I work with a chrono and there is for exemple the exactly time i do .
For the right face , 11H28 min.(one day of work)
For the bottom, 19H42min ( with design include)
for the left (it's the same but I have to create the design) 14h12min.
I use only H&C and hand pusch for shadows.
Have a good day
Pierre

Attachments

• DSC01659.jpg
    DSC01659.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 249
  • DSC01660.jpg
    DSC01660.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC01663.jpg
    DSC01663.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 232

katia

Hi Pierre,

lovely design, very well executed and shows that less actually can be more!

Have a nice day!

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Pierre,

Thanks for showing your work again and the time to complete it. It is always a pleasure to see the latest things you are working on. Giving the time helps other engravers judge their own speed compared to a well trained, highly skilled, professional engraver.

Roger

pierre

Elite Cafe Member
hi Katia, thanks for your kind comment:).
Hello Roger, i'm happy that you said about comparating time between engraver, it's why i posted that thread.however, time is not important in engraving art but it's VERY IMPORTANT in business, if I increase my speed it's only to survive and unfortunately not for the art.
When we engrave, we should'nt have to look always the chrono because this is a realy brake to the creativity .
Have a nice day Roger

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Pierre,
Thanks so much for this post.
Like you say, hardly anyone shows how long it took and I always wonder.
For the bottom, 19H42min ( with design include)
Does that mean you start designing your design or just drawing your design (you have made previously) on the bottom.
Thanks for this rare insight:tiphat:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Pierre, I agree with you about using a chrono while working.
I only recently began to use one after Andrew started a tread "about pricing your work"
If one does not count the time spend on a work, it can't have the right price for it.

I have seen many questions in treads about the time spend. In my opinion most engravers are not willing to tell the time spend, as it also is an indication on the price.

In my latest post Dog Pendant I have mentioned the time I have spend on it.
I think we all could learn from it when time is mentioned. And it does not mean one has to finish a work within a certain use of time, just good to know.

arnaud

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud, I noticed that you posted time taken on your dog pendant. It's good info to know.
After watching Sam's video I asked how long it took him to engrave a 'running leaf' ring.
As just a beginner if I did one to sell I didn't want to overcharge and I also wanted a bench mark as a standard to aspire to.
I have a start/stop timer on my bench to keep track of my time; it's very easy to use.
Kevin P.

pierre

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Daniel,
on this gun, i have been drawing step by step because i haven't time( it's money ) to draw a design on paper before.
sometimes it's more easy to create the disign directly on the gun (you have the exact proportions even in the curves to engrave).
It's why you have a difference between the left and right face, the second i done was more fast because i just had to copy and not thinking again about the design.

Arnaud, you have a mention about 5 to 6 hours about the dog tag but do you take in consideration the time you spend to create the design ?

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Pierre, no I didn't count the design, but in this cas, if I can use the design if it is really good enough, I will use it again with different names and phone number, than the time spend on the design is divided in the x times used.
But hank you for mention it

arnaud

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
If I was engraving for a living, I would be very conscious about the time. But I do this because I love it, and do not keep track of the time. I think it would be good for me to do this, just as another way to gauge my progress.

Time pressure can squash creativity; but it can also keep you from getting lost on the details. There is something to be gained by constraining your time. You will get faster at what you do, and hopefully the ideas will form quicker.

Thanks for posting this thought-provoking idea, Pierre.

Sponsors