Question: New to the forum...wrist watch caseback need

bob ridley

As a watchmaker, I have a need for engraving from time to time. A link to the photo of a sample case back is listed below. I need some one to hand engrave some numbers & a symbol. This case is tempered steel (probably 302 grade), I realize that there are few master engravers who have the skill, muscle, and special tools for tempered steel. For this reason I thought to reach out through this forum for select references for this kind of a job.
You may reach me through the forum or via e Mail as provided below.

Many thanks for your response.

Best regards, Bob Ridley

http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/...tion=view&current=caseback296-75.jpg&newest=1

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi Bob. I know of you through the Rolex forum. Nice to make your acquaintance. What year is that Sub? Looks like a very early one. We certainly have some folks capable of handling your request. I'm thinking this is a very special piece and needs special care.

Thanks for joining us. It's a pleasure to have a prestigious watchmaker like yourself among us. I know you're not an engraver (at least I don't think you are) but we'd still enjoy your participation here.

Cheers / ~Sam

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I saw your name and thought to myself, "where do I know that name from" then realized it must be from the Rolex forum at least the tech section I sometimes hang out in.

I'd take that challenge on but I have no case backs to show, just a few lettering example plates I made for a local jewelry store.

Thanks for joining this forum, there's a lot of good folks and info here. I'll post some pics later tonight.

bob ridley

Hi Bob. I know of you through the Rolex forum. Nice to make your acquaintance. What year is that Sub? Looks like a very early one. We certainly have some folks capable of handling your request. I'm thinking this is a very special piece and needs special care.

Thanks for joining us. It's a pleasure to have a prestigious watchmaker like yourself among us. I know you're not an engraver (at least I don't think you are) but we'd still enjoy your participation here.

Cheers / ~Sam

Hello Sam,

Thank you for the welcome.
You are correct, I'm not an engraver. I'll will happily leave this specialty skill to those who know what they are doing.
This case back belongs to a collectible piece which is referred to as the Mil Sub aka Rolex Submariner. The production year for this model is approximately '73. Aside from the link provided earlier, I wasn't able to attach a picture from my gallery.

Regards, Bob

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Bob: I've seen some...in fact have some...of Tim Wells' lettering. He can do it!

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's mighty neighbourly of you Sam. I looked at the back again and it looks like that might have been done with a vibrating pen engraver maybe? Or pantograph, can't tell for sure.

Sponsors