Straight razor scale pattern

John Cole

Elite Cafe Member
Hey all,
I haven't been able to keep up with the lists over the fall/holidays much, but I have been working on my drawing when I've had the chance.

Here is my latest experiment. This pattern will be for a set of straight razor scales. I will be piercing out the backgroung to help balance the razor. The overall design is 5.5" by @ 5/8". The design will be cut and engraved out of 16 ga. nickle.

cheers and hope everyone had a happy new years!
John

Attachments

• spike 01.jpg
    spike 01.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 407

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I confess to know little about straight razors or knifes; but why are they called 'scales'?
Kevin P.

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
I am the last person that should offer critique and will not, so I am asking rather than critiquing...should the backbone of the largest scroll appear so straight?

John Cole

Elite Cafe Member
I am the last person that should offer critique and will not, so I am asking rather than critiquing...should the backbone of the largest scroll appear so straight?

I see what your talking about. I hadn't really focused on it befor you pointed that out. :rolleyes: I'm not really sure if it's right or wrong, but I probably should have streched the scroll before it a bit and shortened the last one a bit to balance it a bit better.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Looks like some of the small secondary scrolls, near the edges, are coming of the scrolls in the wrong direction. The will occupy the same space as before, but they have to flow growing out from the scroll, not emerge going the wrong way.
Will

John Cole

Elite Cafe Member
finished razor

Hey all,
Got this finished a bit ago, and haven't had time to show the final shots.
This is the first thing that I've done that isn's a small pendant. :)

hope ya'll enjoy it.

Attachments

• spike06a.jpg
    spike06a.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 89
  • spike07a.jpg
    spike07a.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 91
  • spike08a.jpg
    spike08a.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 87
  • spike09a.jpg
    spike09a.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 77

John Cole

Elite Cafe Member
I used a jewellers saw and 8/0 blades. It really wasn't that hard. I did make a bit of a break through with my shading and how polished I needed to get my graver.
I had been doing touch ups on the graver at the 1200 level, but on this project I spent a lot more time on the ceramic lap with the .5 diamond spray. I really concentrated on getting a mirror face on the graver and keeping the heel small and uniform. For some reason it just clicked and I could really tell the difference in how the graver grabbed and cut through the metal.