Buck knive finisched one side

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just finished this one. The design I made for it you find it here.
I wanted to finish it before Christmas, but too much paid work.
It was meant to give it as a present to my youngest son Sam, so I gave him another Buck knife that already was finished.

For the background removal, I used a regular graver and a small flat one, as even the 0,2mm carbide burs don’t work so well for me. Using a graver is more precise in my opinion and does not take more time than a bur.

I never sold one knife till now, but I give them as a present to my family members and I also need something to show customers that represent my recent skills.

But as I’m a goldsmith, this year I have the intention to make some collections engraved jewellery in Titanium, as properly that will sell better in my little shop.

I like this one and will engrave the other side when I have nothing particular else to work on or when I need another present.

arnaud

Last edited:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud,

I enjoyed the development of the design as it progressed in your postings and am glad to see such a fine result. The execution looks clean and professional. Keep on posting, we all benefit from your inquiries.

Mark

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud, I have very much regreds that I am not a familymember of you.....;)
Nice design and great cut!!! with what did you blackened it??
Willem

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Mark, Willem, Mike and Scott.
Willem, I don't exacly understand what you mean, there is no blackening like paint used. Just background removal with a regular and a flat before stippling.

arnaud

docmike

Arnaud, that is a beautiful knife, I have learned alot from your postings, thank you for showing us.
Mike

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Beautiful job, Arnaud! You're getting very good at engraving. Nice design and balance. It's great to see you progress the way you have. You are proving what is possible if a person wants it bad enough and is determined to learn. Congratulations! :beerchug:

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
Great job Arnaud
Your determination and progress should be an inspiration for all engravers.That Buck knife is much more difficult to cut than a mild steel practice plate.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud,

This design works for me, and it has been great to have you share your process and interact .... probably one of the best ways a forum can work. Your openness and passion to forward your craft is a great context.

Keep cutting and posting, I am learnig a lot!

Rod

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't know why I just saw this and have missed it until now but that poor little Buck knife isn't hardly worthy of such fine work. That is really a nice job, I love it!:tiphat:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Sam, we all need well meant appreciating compliments from time to time, receiving one from you counts double for me.
It is you with this Café and of course all fine members, who made it possible for me, learning some design and engraving in just some more than one year.

Sure I still have to learn lots and looking at this engraving, I know it looks good but also where it can be improved.
And my slogan is “ the day I don’t learn anymore, it is time to stopâ€￾, and I think this counts for all of us.

Than you too Dennis, Mike, Joseph, Rod, Tim and Stewart, I really appreciate your encouragements.

CJ Tate

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful engraving, Arnaud, and the design is very nice - it has a certain rhythm and and flow, and just enough interlacing of leaves that makes it very pleasing. I have followed the design development with interest and I learned as the posts progressed.

With such a nice completion on once side, isn't the other side going to keep calling to you until it is done?! ;) - Candy

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Candy, yes probably I can't wait long to finish the other side.
But one has to make a living too, at least I do. :big grin:

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors