getting started

mike34

hello everyone, i have never done any engraving and want to learn , where does one start ? school, books ,can patterns be purchased any help will be great. thanks

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Mike and welcome to the Café. The best way to start engraving is to take a course but you can go the self taught route if you have the dedication. Emporia State University run a degree course in the Engraving Arts if that takes your fancy. You'll find a myriad of information on this website and guys willing to give advice.

Mike Bissell

Elite Cafe Member
Mike, welcome to the Cafe'. You could start by joining FEGA and possibly take advantage of their scholarship program. I would strongly consider taking a class to get the feel of things before laying out a lot of money for tools. I see you are not that far from Reno NV, so maybe you could come to the FEGA show January 22 -24 with free seminars on Monday the 25th. I guess the first thing to get would be Ron Smith's book "Advance Scroll Drawing", pencils, an eraser, and a lot of paper.

Mike

mike34

Mike thanks for the reply not having any background in art should i start with ''advanced'' scroll design book i am looking forward to going to the FEGA show

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Mike34

Welcome to the group.

I to would recommend you purchase Ron Smith's book "Advance Scroll Drawing".

Also I understand Sam will have a DVD Video, on scroll design, available shortly.

This will help give you a understanding of the proper way to draw a scroll design.

If you then decide to take a class you will have a idea of what they are talking about.

I also would not recommend purchasing a lot of tools until and before you really know what to buy.

Try to meet as many members as you can to see and try out the different types of equipment and gravers (Lindsay or GRS).

Ken Crutcher

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Welcome to the Cafe, Mike. You've been given some solid advice. Start with a pencil and sketch pad and study scroll design and lettering while you're waiting to take your first class. You can learn the hard way like many of us did, but but taking a class will get you up to speed very quickly. There are a lot of knowledgeable and very helpful and friendly members here that will happy to help you along the way.

Cheers / ~Sam

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike,
You might want to contact Ron Scott in Grant's Pass and see what he has to offer. He's just over the hill from you.

Ron Scott
4730 West Griffin Cr. Rd.
Medford, Or. 97501
541-858-2800 cell 541-941-0395
email ronscottflintlocks@gmail.com

Andrew Biggs

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum

You can get the book at FEGA here or GRS here

You will enjoy the FEGA show in Reno and get to meet a lot of people and play with some engraving gear...........plus have a good look at the wide selection of engraved guns and meet the artists.

Cheers
Andrew

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Mike34

GRS tools has the book, it is a little expensive but well worth it.

When you receive the book, do not look at a design as a whole, take one spiral and or leaf at a time and learn to draw it.

Soon it will become second nature.

Advanced Drawing Of Scrolls - 2nd Ed. $74.95

http://www.grstools.com/books/

Ken Crutcher

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike,

You can get my book from GRS. Type "GRS tools.com" into your search engine and look around. It is available through them.

Good luck!...........and welcome to the forum.

Ron S

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Mike, welcome to the engraving family. You've found a great starting place.
I would advise you to buy James Meek's book The Art of Engraving about $30 or less from Brownell's, and/or GRS I believe.
Another couple of inexpensive books that cover the basics of engraving are The Basics of Firearms Engraving by Neil Hartliep available from Brownell's at www.brownells.com
Another good starters book, $6-7 is available from Ngraver Company and they will be at the Reno show and usually have the books with them for sale.
And as Mike Bissell said....Join FEGA......Best $50 you ever spent.
As others have said, take an engraving course when you can. It will move you years ahead.
Best wishes on your engraving adventure.