Question: QC sharpening fixture

Carl69

Hi

Is there a trick to align the gravers properly while working with a QC sharpering fixture ? With the dual angle sharpening fixture you have a V shape to align the gravers which we do not have with the QC fixture. It is almost impossible to align a graver in a QC tool holder exactly at 0°. While sharpening the heel, the result gives lots of inconsistencies.

Is there a trick to prevent this or did I bought the wrong item ?

Thanks

maplesm

Elite Cafe Member
If you mount the graver in the QC tool holder before sharpening, there should be no problem. Sharpen the face then the heals. . this should have them aligned as long as you don't take the graver out of the tool holder.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I took a hand push graver handle set up for QC, disassembled it and put the QC receptacle in the dual angle chuck. I now use it as a permanent fixture for holding all my QC gravers. I works perfectly well.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There are two tricks I know, both involving leaving the graver in the QC holder

1) Slide the graver into the holder from behind so you're gripping the shank just ahead of the QC holder. This can be a problem with a short graver but it's very consistent

2) GRS makes a nifty little adapter that you chuck into the fixture that makes it QC. It's just a little socket the QC holder will set into with an angle ground at the back so it'll lock into the V of the fixture. I use it with my flats because it's faster than the other two ways to index them*. You probably will have to make some adjustments to use this adapter though - it's hard to get the graver in the QC collect so that it will line up with the 0 on the dual angle fixture. Still handy and worth the small cost. Ha! Just remembered they updated their website - click here to see this little widget.

*The other two ways to index your flats involve fiddling with them. The way I learned from Marty Rabeno (Fancygun) is to set the ceramic lap on your hone (it just has to sit there so you don't have to take the other disk off), put the QC collet in the fixture jaws set at 0, 0 and rotate the flat until the back (top) of it is flat on the stone.

The other way someone posted here (JimZim?) - you chuck up the graver like this once (or any alignment method of your choice) and grind the top at 45 degrees on a side to give a nice V you can use to chuck it into the jaws just like a normal (square) graver.

Latest posts

Sponsors