Steel Banknote Printing Plates

jfava

Hello Everyone :tiphat:
I seem to have made it through the holidays in one piece I think. Now onward and upward so they say... lol

I am selling off my personal collection of steel banknote pringting plates. I have about 50 or so. They range from small simple script plates to monster serious stuff.

The origins of the plates came from names such as:
Continental Banknote Co.
Southern Banknote Co.
American Banknote Co.
Colombian Banknote Co.

Here is a link to my website http://bnplates.com/default.aspx

...and if your not interested in buying then at least you'll see some cool pics and maybe a bit of history as well.

enjoy

Last edited:

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Jason, Incredible pieces of history, I'll add them to my wish list. I've always had a fascination from my days of working in Rotogravure printing. Wish I'd learned from our resident engraver, but if memory serves he mostly did repairs at press. The cylinders were acid etched so I never observed any of his work.
Thanks for letting us see such beauty.
Mark
www.MarkThomas-graver.com

jfava

Mark,

I'm not familiar with Rotogravure. but it sound really cool.

The plates you see are the initial steps in the process.

The way they worked was to do all the components of a whole (stock or bond) on small plates like you see in my header pictures. Then heat treat them (hard) and pick up the image with a soft steel roller.Heat treat the roller and roll the images onto the master plate(completed stock/bond).

From the master plate they wold heat treat it and pick up the whole thing on a roller and roll it multiple times on a huge plate. Then they printed six or so pieces at once.

Latest posts

Sponsors