Harder Materials and angles

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
think about it. What is stronger, an acute angle or an obtuse one? With the answer to that, what is stronger a a 0-45 degree angle or a 45-90 one?

Heels only affect the way the graver comes out of the cut, unless you mean the cutting angle that heels create? then the same sort of logic applies. Of course, their are practical limits to everything.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
If you're using let's say a 45° face and 15° heel and you're breaking points frequently, then increasing the face to 50° will strengthen the point. You'll also notice that the graver behaves differently as Scott pointed out. Also keep in mind that experienced engravers will generally break far fewer points because they have more control and put far less stress on their tools.

marziale00

If the point is holding at 45, then no reason to change?

Also, for a flat graver............ should there be any relief bevels on the sides of the flat?

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
If the point is holding at 45, then no reason to change?
Good question.
I don't remember this question being asked before. My theory is when starting out to keep variables to a minimum. There seems to be a relationship between face angle and the width of cut when the cuts are executed the the same way. Lower face angle equals wider cut when all factors being the same. I guess experienced engravers use this principle to achieve what they want.
So my answer would be if the point is holding don't change. Kevin Scott

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
angle modifications for harder material; In hand engraving steel plates for wedding invitations and business stationary we used straight round, square and flat gravers hand pushed. The only 'heel was made by lightly drawing the graver belly across a fine 4/0 emery paper. I can't give you a number for the angle of the face, we did all our sharpening by hand.

I can tell you that what we wanted was an angle that cut smoothly without digging in, leaving a trail and or breaking=too much of an angle. We also wanted an angle that was easy to push without skipping out=not enough angle. This angle would vary depending on the size of graver, temper and hardness. Also if a graver cut nice on steel it would probably cut too deep on copper which we used for short run plates.

In the pushing technique, raise your elbows in front of you, push your palms together, concentrate on the equal power of each arm. You should feel the power up into your shoulders and down your back. Equal always equal. Armrests are good. Sit as straight as you can feet on the floor.

I hope this helps some.

Jim Sackett