The Dubber/Plumer Colts

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
This project included two consecutively serial numbered 2nd Generation Colt Single Action Army Revolvers - .45 caliber 5-1/2†barrels. The client’s objective was to create twin Colts for his daughters that reflected evocative images of personal and family history.

In the case of the father, an oil producer, the image of an oil derrick signifies a successful and rewarding career. Oil Derricks of his design and particular to his company are inlaid in 24 K raised gold on the leading gates. For the recoil shields the father choose 24K raised gold inlays of the athletic logo of The University of Kentucky, (Wildcats - circa 1970-78) his Alma mater. The daughter’s names and birthdates are engraved in script lettering on the backstraps and shovel heads.

The engraving is classic Colt style scrollwork with background removed and dot punched. All borders, factory lettering and the Rampant Colt are inlaid in 24K gold. The Colts are presented in individual custom Oak and Glass Museum cases.

Scrim Subjects: The father is an avid wild turkey hunter and a fan of the artwork of John J. Audubon. The goal was not at all to copy the work of Audubon, but to depict the toms in a similar manner; non-display pose and in their natural settings. On the other sides of the grips the images were more personalized to each daughter. One daughter plays softball in school, and this is her portrait. The other daughter loves horses and has shown and competed in horse sports. This is a portrait of “Little Red,†her beloved horse who died while she was away at college.

The Artists:

Mike Dubber, Master Engraver
Katherine Plumer, Scrim Artist
Jim Aliamo – Ivory Grips
Reliable Plating – Gold Plating
Turnbull Restoration – charcoal bluing
Les Yoder – Museum Cases
Photography – Michael Wheatley

Photos by M. Wheatley:

Scrim photos by K. Plumer:

Happy New Year!

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
wow.

Projects like this truly demonstrate synergy - how combining a group of talented artists multiplies their talent rather than simply adding it.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just curious.....when a project like this includes so many artists, does the person who received the commisssion front all the money and pay the others; or, does everyone get paid when the guns are finished; or, does the customer pay each in turn when their part is completed.

The reason I ask it that I have a build coming up that will include at least two others besides myself.

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Managing a multi-team project

After estimating the finished price of a job like this I normally require 25% down for my part of the project (the engraving and gold costs). In addition, I get quotations from the other artist invoved. If the client wants me to totally manage the project to completion, I require all the other costs up front and pay out to the other participants as the various sections are finished.

In many cases I recommend that the client contact another team member to complete their parts of the project independently. In the case of these two Colts, I "managed" the initial grip making, casemaking and final finishing sections of the project in addition to my engraving.

Grip Art: I recommended Katherine and asked the client to contact her directly on the specifics of the grip art. That was a major and integral part of the theme, and I trusted that her work work match the quality of mine. No doubt it did!

Mike Dubber

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
DKanger, I can answer your question only from my own experience on this project, which may or may not be the norm. Mike originally contacted me about the collaborative project and told me the client's ideas for the grips. I agreed to work on it, he sent the grips, and from then on all of my communication was with the client/customer only, as far as images and sketch approval, etc. I was paid directly by the client/customer as with any other project. When I finished, the grips went back to Mike. Until I got these pics in email the other day, I had no idea how the guns were engraved. Worked out okay! :big grin:

Hey Mike, we answered that at the same time!

-Katherine

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
land sakes, if you want something better looking than this, you aint gonna find it ! visual treasure comes to mind lookin at this.

jfava

Wow!
....dude! You and Mike ROCK!

Just brilliant. Supper classy :beerchug: