a link to engraved Timepieces

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you for that link Mario.

There is also a 'video' by NHK the Japanese production Co called "Masters of Time". It is in HD-TV and use macro lens for some parts. It concerns two Swiss, one German speaking, the other French speaking who do one-off watches.
It's pretty amazing to watch these guys. I saw one lathe which the one maker used to cut his own gears. That was the only machinery that I remember seeing.
Kevin P.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dmitry, in the US it's broadcast on HD-TV. I don't think one would get the same quality on 'you tube' and the quality of NHK productions is all the difference.
I would 'goggle' and see what comes up.
Again I would emphasize the HD aspect; the photography is spectacular, also the info very interesting.
Kevin P.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It is interesting that they write "hand guilloché" then show a craftsman using a Rose engine to make the guilloché pattern. Perhaps he is turning the engine by hand.

CRB

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
It is interesting that they write "hand guilloché" then show a craftsman using a Rose engine to make the guilloché pattern. Perhaps he is turning the engine by hand.

Hello Roger, yes, he turns it by hand. These rose engines are absolute fascinating (to me ;) ). He wrote on his Homepage, some of them (he owns a few) are older than a hundred years.
Just found this with bigger pictures...

Last edited:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger, I had the opportunity to see one of these engines and also try it out. The only 'hand' part was feeding the silver to the cutter; or just the opposite feeding the cutter into the silver. It was a massive machine much like the photos that Mario's link showed. My overall impression was that it took such a massive machine to produce such a fine delicate line.
The guy who had it was rebuilding the machine for a man who purchased it. The engine sold for $30,000 plus reconditioning fees and delivery; it weighs a lot. Lots of cast iron!
This is in no way to contradict anyone; just my brief impression.
Kevin P.

Latest posts

Sponsors