Platinum and 18kt diamond and ruby ring

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
Finished just in time for New Year's Eve!! I was originally going to carve the scroll on the sides around the rubies in wax, but decided to do it in the metal instead. Incredibly time consuming job!!

Attachments

• P1012265editag.jpg
    P1012265editag.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 227
  • P1012253editagJPG.jpg
    P1012253editagJPG.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 198
  • P1012246editag.jpg
    P1012246editag.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 201

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks very well made, even like the design of the ring.
And as I always say, " the best jewellery are those who are sold and paid".
Is it a stupid question if I ask if it is a ring for a lady or a man?

arnaud

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
Yes Arnaud, it is a ladies ring with a 2.04ct radiant cut center diamond. One of my favorite pieces I've worked on in quite some time! The customer hasn't picked it up yet but she saw the photos I posted on Facebook and she absolutely loves it...that's all I can ask for!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
may have taken a lot of time, but i think it surely shows when one looks at this beautiful ring.

Dennis Sprague

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Mark'
The ring you have created it absolutely stunning.The bezel work and setting is great,When I see facet's as clean and accurate as you have around the center stone I know that attention to detail has been given.The only area of concern that I have is the way that you attached the beads to the platinum,in the picture it looks like you have a couple spot's that the solder may have run a little further than you wanted.
There Are a couple ways that I handle this,one is to mark the spot where you want the bead then apply a dot of yellow ocher, then using a ball bur the size of the bead drill a small divot into the platinum.
Add a very small amount of solder to bead and apply heat from bellow to flow the solder to the platinum.
The other way is to ball the end of a piece of wire to the size of the bead that you want.Drill a hole thru the piece and laser weld from the back. Congratulation's on making a fine piece of jewelery.:thumbs up:
Dennis

Last edited:

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful ring!!!

I have a lot of rings that the people that look at them, and try them on ask "Is this a man's ring, or a woman's ring?" I tell them that if it fits and you like it, it is for whatever you are.

The lady getting that is very lucky, but it would also make a splendid pinky ring for a gentleman.

Will

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice.
Did you set those ruby cabs from the back?

No, they are set from the top. It's 18kt so the metal moves pretty easily.

Dennis, that's good advice! I use something similar to yellow ochre to avoid freezing hinges, etc... but didn't think to use it for this. The good news is that it shows up more in the photo than it does in real life (lighting/over-saturation). Fortunately, it's a non issue, but next time I do a similar job I will definitely try your method. Thanks!

My customer actually had tears in her eyes when she picked it up:big grin:. (hopefully because she loved it...not because she maxed out her credit card:beerchug:!!

Nathan Ott

No, they are set from the top. It's 18kt so the metal moves pretty easily.

Dennis, that's good advice! I use something similar to yellow ochre to avoid freezing hinges, etc... but didn't think to use it for this. The good news is that it shows up more in the photo than it does in real life (lighting/over-saturation). Fortunately, it's a non issue, but next time I do a similar job I will definitely try your method. Thanks!

My customer actually had tears in her eyes when she picked it up:big grin:. (hopefully because she loved it...not because she maxed out her credit card:beerchug:!!

That's always the best. The ring looks great.

Also as to the yellow ochre, I'd use white-out (or liquid paper as some people call it). It works just as well but you don't run the risk of getting yellow ochre all over your hands or bench.

Latest posts

Sponsors