Taking good pictures of bulino

Ron Jr.

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, I'm new here and a real newbie to engraving but have been doing scrimshaw professionally for about 2 years now (Ron Jr. Scrimshaw), I just completed my first bulino engraving a few days ago and had a heck of a time getting the so-so photo shown, a lot of the fine shading in this piece is lost/not visible in the photo. Anyone have any advice for taking decent photos of small detailed engraving? Oh yeah, I use an olympus E10 with a macro lens so I know the camera can do it the problem is me! I think the problem is lighting as I can get half decent photos of small scrimshaw..... Thanks in advance for any help you can offer with this matter. Ron

Attachments

• bbytgrbulino2.jpg
    bbytgrbulino2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 231

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi Ron. Nice Welcome to the Cafe. Nice bulino engraving and your photo is fine. I see nothing wrong with it. Perhaps a little levels adjustment in Photoshop could give it a bit more contrast but I wish more Cafe member would do this well with their photos. From what I can see your pendant is reflecting a white surface which makes the engraved lines dark in a photo. That's the way to do it. Tell us more about your lighting setup, please.

Cheers / Sam

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron, welcome and thanks showing some of your work.
I use a tracing paper to put on my bench lamp, that way the light is more diffuse and makes an equal "reflection" on the surface being photographed.
arnaud

Ron Jr.

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Sam and thanks, I have a tripod and a remote button for my camera (both are a must in my opinion if your going to take pictures of small detailed things) I did use photoshop to tweak the contrast a little and as far as my lighting set up goes........ promise not to make fun of me, a single led flashlight held at just the right angle to get a good reflection. The multi led flashlights have bright and dim spots in the beam and dont give you a nice even reflection like the single led, on the down side the single leds beam is very small so it wont work on larger items.

Ron Jr.

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the suggestion Arnaud I will try it, its simple and low cost which is always a good thing:)

truehand

Nice bulino work Ron!

For a small flat item like that you might want to explore the "axial lighting" technique that coin photographers use.

This technique provides really great contrast and it's also a great technique for preventing the camera from being reflected in shiny objects.

There is a great article on Mark Goodman's excellent numismatic photography website.
www.coinimaging.com

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron, it looks terrific.
The one thing I might suggest is photographic diffusion film.
Kevin P.

truehand

hey Rod, I'm glad you found that website as cool and informative as I did. I was thankful the day I stumbled upon it as well. He does a great job explaining how to light small objects for photography.
I was so intrigued by the 'axial lighting' that I took a piece of glass right out of a framed picture on the wall next to my desk and had an 'axial lighting' setup within minutes! I used a 250W halogen shop light, diffused with plain white paper, for a light source.

Cheers,
Dave

Ron Jr.

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks!

Thanks for the advice and compliments everyone:) I will post the results when I try some of the things suggested but first I gotta finish another piece to photograph! Have a good one and thanks again. Ron

RoycroftRon

Elite Cafe Member
Not sure if it would apply to this, but I use a polarizing filter over my lens to reduce glare. A must for reflective sculptural objects in my opinion. It can also enhance - or reduce color intensity so be observant.