Doberman Pinscher dog scrimshaw pendant (lots of pics)

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
Hey everyone! I hope you all enjoyed (and are still enjoying) the holidays. I've been eagerly waiting to show some new stuff here, I had to wait til after Christmas though! It takes me ages to get through all the photos and figure out what to say. Bear with me.

This project is a pendant featuring a Doberman Pinscher dog named "Rosie." It's a 30x40mm pre-ban elephant ivory cabochon, set in sterling silver, and it was a commissioned Christmas gift. I scrimmed it in full color, and it used 8 different mixes of ink. So I guess you could call it an 8-color scrim! I'm also big on gradation and tonality, so there is light and dark within each color of ink. It takes me a loooong time to build up the layers from light to dark, and then to layer the various colors. But the process is so worth it to get the right look!

This isn't exactly a tutorial, I'm not explaining anything. ;-) But I'll show you the work in progress pics. These are photographed under various lighting conditions over several days. Please pardon the weird yellowish tone to some of the pics.

So, the client sent me one photograph to work with. Others were available, but this was the desired pose and expression, and I didn't really need other pics. The photo was not particularly well printed and the color was pretty tweaky, but I knew this dog (she passed away several years ago) and am familiar with the red Dobie color so it was fine. I decided just a head/shoulders portrait would be best, since putting the whole dog on that shape of ivory would leave too much blank space. The first step of course was sketch it out and transfer the image.

Straight out of the bottles, these are the colors of ink I have. One of the challenges is always figuring out the exact formula for how to mix every color that I need. Plus, the color in this photo is pretty bad. That's where knowing the subject matter comes in handy!:

The outline lightly transferred to the ivory (out of focus, sorry):

The outline heavily scrimmed. That's not really something that has to be done, it's just my style of working, I think it helps make tiny images a little easier to "read"!

Okay, so at this point I had this major dilemma of what order I wanted to work in. Originally I was thinking I'd start with the darkest areas. But I didn't want to. I want to go light to dark like I'm drawing even though I think most people go dark to light. ;-) Yes, that right there is the extend of my rebellious streak I think! But I figured doing the eyes and nose first made sense:

And then the pink of the ears and muzzle:

Then all the tan areas (this took a few layers to get it dark enough, but I didn't photograph all that):

Starting the dark reddish brown:

Building up the dark color on the face:

Starting work on the neck:

Then I forgot to photograph it for a while until all the dark color was on:

Added a darker tan to the tan areas (yes, I do sometimes "backtrack" to work on colors):

At that point all that was left was to darken the darkest brown areas with the last layer of color. And then it was done!

And with a penny for scale:

What I hope you can see in this pic is that it ends up pretty heavily engraved, though you can't really feel it much with your fingers. There is NO surface ink. It's all down in the dots, and I buff these things down quite hard between ink layers!

This is a very extreme closeup, like you're not really supposed to see them quite this close up, but it's interesting nonetheless. Lots of dots!

The recipient of this pendant loves it. She cried. Awwwww. :)

Thanks for looking!

-Katherine

Last edited:

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Katherine your works is always amazing and interesting! Thanks for posting and Happy New Year, Seth

CJ Tate

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful work and you have caught the portrait with such life. - thank you for putting up the progression and explanation.

I am not at all surprised she cried - I have 2 dobies and love them dearly. That is something I would not have thought possible 3 years ago when my then 19 yr old son brought them home. You have caught their alert steady expression so well.

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wonderful work Katherine!

I've mentioned before that I've had a couple of similar pendants made for my ever-indulgent wife (one of each of our cats) so I have an idea of how much better this must look in person than in looks in the pictures - and it looks great in the pictures!

It is just astounding how well you scrimshanders do this work! Without seeing it in person it's almost hard to believe you didn't somehow just print the photo onto the pendant.

Your progression pics are fascinating. It just comes to life at about the 9th one and keeps getting better from there.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ya' know, I was not altogether in favor of colored scrimshaw when it was first being done several years ago. I was too much of a traditionalist. (Only nautical themes, sailors dreams, and only in black ink.) But, you have made me a true convert! I love this piece! Do you think you could borrow it back from your client to bring to Reno? I know many who are planning to go to the convention, would love to see it "up close and personal".

Mark

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That Piece Was A Complete Joy to Look at!

Katherine,

I hope you don't mind that I took some vicarious pleasure from the scrimshaw of that dog and your fantastic tutorial that belongs in the "Tips and Tricks" section of the archive. I got to witness the joy of your creation without the 99% perspiration.

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Katherine,

Every piece you do is just amazing.

Your skill and eye for color, design and composition is a wonderful pleasure to enjoy.

Thank you for your tutors and incite on how it is done.

Your work is the best Color scrim I have ever seen.

You are truly a master artist.

AirAmp

Last edited:

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That was fabulous Katherine. Thanks for showing us all the various stages; it's nice to see how these things develop and how you gradually build it up.

Just out of interest, what brand of inks do you use? The only time I tried coloured scrimshaw I had a hell of a job getting the inks to stain properly. I was using Windsor & Newton but there must be other, more suitable, brands.

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Katherine, that is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for taking us through the steps. Well done.

Stewart

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you so much for the comments! I spent a lot of time in here, just me and the scrimshaw, so it's always such a treat to finally get to share them with the world! :)

Mark- woo hoo, I'm glad I converted you! Ha ha. I won't have this piece in Reno (it's up in Oregon now) but I'm planning to bring something else... I just don't know what! I don't have much to tote around with me, the ones in my possession are mostly framed and I don't want to carry those around. I'll make something new. Maybe a pendant for me to keep and wear. Or something else. Hmmmm....

mdengraver- by all means enjoy the vicarious scrimshaw! It's probably much easier that way. ;) I'm getting much more comfortable with the color work, but it sure makes b/w seem easy!

Marcus- I'm using Higgins ink, and the white one is Daler Rowney FW brand. I still need to try out some others though. Higgins black is great. Brown straight from the bottle is very hard to clean off. The reds don't stick hardly at all on their own. Since all the colors on the dog were mixed and nothing was straight out of the bottle (other than black) there was no problem, but if I was working on a subject matter with a lot of red, I'd go shopping for ink! In fact, maybe it's time to do that anyway!

Thank you everyone! :)

-Katherine

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How long does all this take?

I hate to ask artists this question, but If I may ask, any idea how long it takes for you to do these? They seem quite labor intensive.