Some sad news

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have just been talking to my father who told me the sad news that the Scottish engraver Bill Sinclair passed away earlier this month. Those of you who have visited GRS may have seen some of his work displayed there. He was one of the first to use a GraverMeister in this country and was friends with Don Glasser. My thoughts are with his wife and family at this sad time.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very sad.
Where did he get most of his work? did he study under Ken Prather? I think I read he did work for Boss.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That is sad news indeed. I never met Bill but we exchanged emails over the years. I'm sorry to hear of his passing.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus,

Thanks for passing on the news. I met Bill at the NRA convention at Kansas City in 1978. We spoke for some time about his use of the Gravermeister and that was one of the factors that led me to buy the display model from Don the next day. Bill was a fine engraver and a very nice fellow. He was born December, 18, 1936.

R.I.P. William P. Sinclair

CRB

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the information Marcus. It's a sad day. I too exchanged some e-mails with him thanks to Don, and spoke with on the phone a couple times when I was visiting England.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is sad news, Marcus!

Thank you for letting us know. Am I correct that Bill Sinclair lived and worked in Wiltshire, England? Can you, or others, tell us anything of his early engraving influences. Did he have engraving influences in Scotland?

best

Rod

Nigel

Very sad news, I had the pleasure to have met him some years ago and was also able to see some of his engravings. He came across as an honest and straight talking man, and not to mention a very very good engraver.

With greatest respect
Nigel

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
I met bill back in about 1981 when he came to the gunsmith school in Trinidad, Colorado. The gunsmith school was trying to hire him to start an engraving program at the college. He came and had supper with me and my lovely wife and shared the evening and engraving techniques with me. I recall that evening as if it were yesterday. He had two picture alblums full of photos of his work. He was undoughtably on of the best. I have often wondered what became of him since I haven't heard much of him in many years. Needless to say the college was not willing to pay him what he was worth. So much for government employment.

Ed

Tom_W

It is sad news as I spoke to Bill in the last 4 months and he sounded well. Bill spent his final years in a small scottish border town of Peebles.

T

Tom_W

PS

Bill's memory will live on as to quote from a recent PM with him

"I (Bill) used to work free lance for H&H, Purdey westley Richards and most of the other big names in the UK gun trade."

and as such his work will be seen for centuries to come.

T

Latest posts

Sponsors