Back from Yankeeland...

Roger Keagle

Elite Cafe Member
Guess I just needed to touch "home"...nothing to report, did not buy any tools...other than a camera as my old one gave up the ghost...and I decided to not buy any power tools for engraving...thought long and hard on this one.

Might be my age...you know the old saying about old dogs...guess I do not need to spend a heap of money on a tool that really will only do faster what I enjoy taking my time doing now...hell, at my age, I would never recoup the money spent on what I make and sell so it was just a dream.

I go back every year, so my thinking may change, but this year I think I will stick with the old H&C...and my New Years Res is to try to do Ron's Transitional cuts with my hammer and chisel...had a bit of a go before I left, and coming back to the practice plates they do not look as hopless as they did when I first did them...why is that ? It seems the longer you let a bit of work "rest" the better it looks....

Well enough rambling on...you all have better things do do....get back to work !!!

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Speed is obviously good for a professional engraver, but enhanced control is, in my opinion, the greatest benefit of handpiece engraving. Speed is just the frosting on the cake!

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Aussi Roger,

I am interested to learn if you can accomplish the flare cut (aka transitional) scroll with H&C. I have always believed that it would not be possible without leaving progress marks in the cuts. I have only been able able to do it with power and push gravers.

Kentucky Roger

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
i to have given a few half hearted tries at the flare cut.lets make it work roger.i to am a hammer & chisel man.keep us posted with progress.:thumbs up:

Roger Keagle

Elite Cafe Member
Roger,

My teacher now gone would always talked about advance strokes showing with the H&C...me, well it never bothered me until I tried cutting deeper as required in the flair cutting...so...it will be a chalange...but then learning to engrave is all of that after all....or this form would not exist.