Question: Beading Tool

canadian

Elite Cafe Member
Jim,

These are used by hand.

You need first to raise the bead with a graver and then use the beading tool to make it round into a ball. I am sure that you can find some instructions on line as to how to use them.

Good luck.

Boris

Jim, They are used by hand, however I have chucked them in a hand piece and used them. Same DVD, Up Close With Sam, availabe from GRS shows how to use them. Lefty

Andrew Biggs

Hi Jim

I hope you managed to eat and drink way too much on christmas day :)

You can use the beading tools that you got in may ways.

The first is for setting stones and the jeweller guys on the forum can tell you all about that.

The second is for background work. You can place the "dot/beads" next to one another in an orderly way by using a chasing hammer and lightly tapping the end. Just be carefull because if the metal is soft they can go deep real quick.

Or you can use them with an air tool. Just stick it in the end and use it similar to stippeling. This will give you a rougher type look, depending on the size bead you use and the effect that you want to acheive.

If the metal is hard then sometimes the chasing hammer is the better way to go. If the metal is too hard then the beading tool won't last too long.

The trick with a beading tool as a background is when you have it against the edge of the actual engraving (like a leaf or scroll spine) is to lean the top of the tool toward the edge of the cut, this will prevent the edge of the cut from being raised by the bead (displaced metal) . It's not so bad on harder surfaces but on softer metals it can raise the edge quite badly.

Another thing is consistancey pays out here. Try to keep all the beads at a uniform depth as best as possible.

Try it out on a practice plate and have a bit of fun with it and see what you can come up with.

Cheers
Andrew

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I have found that when I put them in a quick change holder, they are too long to fit under my scope. I clip half the length off with some large dykes, then I can use them fine. I purchased an extra set for use with my gravermax, butactually I end up with several sets because I don't re-shape and re-temper them. I find it easier to just by new ones in the sizes I use most.

Will

Latest posts

Sponsors