A rifle for the Reno Show

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
With our Guild Meeting/show approaching fst. I know many of us are in the going ballistic stage of trying to get everything finished or finished enough. Here is an old model 1873 Winchester frame that is finished enough for my display table in Reno. All I will have to show of this rifle is the frame in the white. The rest of the parts still need engraving. When finished the rifle will sport a 30" octagonal barrel and a set trigger.
I enjoy looking for old period art work that i can use for some engravings and on this rifle I found an old Brewery ad that peeked my interest.
Here is the original poster and what I have done to it on my rifle. It is a poor shop light photograph and I will take better ones as time permits.

Attachments

• !B(jGVdg!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKkQEjlLmVIM2BKc1qMhTsw~~_3.jpg
    !B(jGVdg!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKkQEjlLmVIM2BKc1qMhTsw~~_3.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 358
  • DSC01391 2.jpg
    DSC01391 2.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 488

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like the leafy look of this one along with more background removed than you normally do. You always frame scenes nicely, very elegant.

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
rifle for the Reno Show

Marty

You have outdone yourself on this one, this is really nice work.

I really like it.

I will not copy your work/piece but I might copy your style.

Ken

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Wow, that's nice work Marty. You'll definitely draw a crowd wanting to see this piece, including me :thumbs up:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Marty...That 73 Winchester is just awesome. Is this the kind of photographs you are getting with the Sony camera with the Zeiss lens..the one we talked about on the phone last week? Keep up the good work.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts

jack

Very nice. The small circles are just right for small stones. Has stones(diamonds) ever been set into guns? Just wondering. I don't remember if I have ever seen it done. Jack

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good Morning Guys and thanks for the compliments.

SamW....it is allowewd in Colorado and Nevada. Not so sure about Utah though

JJ... Yes this is the pockect camera i told you about. For this shot i just hand held it on a macro setting shot at the higest resolution. It's a 12.1 megapixel camera.

Sam I look forward to seeing you in Reno as always. I'll also have my finished Sharps with me finally.

Russ, Tim, Dulltool,.ckrutche you compliments are always appreciated. I'll try to take a betr photo of this during the week and post it for you .

Marty

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Marty,
This is some really beautiful work. Sorry that I will not be able to attend the Reno show this year but, if you still have this gun, I hope that you can bring it to the Colorado Gun Collectors Show in Denver.

Les Schowe

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Beautifully done Marty. I am a big fan of your work. I regret I won't be in Reno to see this in person. Take care.
Stewart

Andrew Biggs

Hi Marty

Fabulous as always and I'll look forward to seeing the gun in Reno. Those old posters are very cool and obviously transpose onto period guns beautifully.

Will the gun stay in the white or be blued/greyed when finished??

Cheers
Andrew

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
Great work Marty
Whenever I see a well engraved 73 I still get all slobbery inside.
I wish I could see it in Reno,Maybe some day I will brave the cold and show up at the Greatest Engraving Show on Earth.Take care and have a great show

Latest posts

Sponsors