need help stat

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
I just got my Gravermach set-up, finally figured out how to sharpen the graver, and started to practice. My biggest problem at present is getting my GRS magna block ball vise base to pivot smoothly on the tire. I adjusted the drag and the block crown turns fine. I'm having good luck with scrolls but I'm having trouble with straight lines because I'm unable to get the vise to tip smoothly to the right as I engrave to the left. I have many more questions but thought I would present one problem at a time. Any help will be much apreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello Michael, I'm not sure this is your problem, but there are 2 sides to the tire. One has white plastic (teflon) pieces around the hole and the other side does not. If you want the vise to move freely you need to have the plastic pieces up and touching the bottom of the metal vise. If you don't want the vise to move then you use the other side and it holds it firmly. Hope that helps... :)

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Tira, thank you for replying. I have the vice sitting on the white plastic pieces but it doesn't move freely enough. An engraver showed me his set-up when I was trying to figure out which tools I needed. He has the same vice, although he's had it for 40 years. His was sitting on an oily rag in the tire and moved more easily than mine. I tried to put a siicone soaked gun cloth in the tire but it did not work any better. I even tried tilting the vice around for 10 mins to maybe break it in better but it still does not move any easier. I'm still hoping maybe someone has a trick up their sleeve.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, to tell you the truth, I can't remember when my vise was new. I don't think it was "sticky" then. Now the bottom of the vise and the little white pieces usually have some amount of dirt/gunk on them. I take the vise off and windex the bottom and clean the tire and little plastic pieces about every 2 months or so. It seems to have "self lubricated" over time.

Which vise did you get? I have the low profile, the magna block and the little one. The low profile is easier for me to move around due to the fact that it is not as heavy. The magna is heavier and harder to move around in general - but that is why it is good at holding large parts. Maybe someone else will have another tip for you. Good luck.

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Tira, you gave me an idea. I rubbed some tire wet magic on the plastic pieces and bottom of vice. It's made for plastic, rubber, and vinyl. The stuff is very slippery. The vice moves a litle easier but it's not there yet. I have the 30 pound Magnablock ball vice and when I tilt it, it's still a little jerky. The only way I can attempt to engrave a straight line is to tilt the vice and leave it in place while i let the graver move forward as the curl of metal comes up off the practice plate and spirals. I thought i had to tilt the vice as i hold the graver in one place. If this is not right please correct me.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm guessing the surface of the pads and block are just new and rough. You might try some spray telfon or other type of lube on them.
I'm not sure if you are doing odd shapes or what but I wouldn't think you would be tilting the vise much to do straight lines anyhow?
Rex

JLA.jr

Michael i just went through the same thing with my new ball. My old magna block is a lot freer than this new block. One thing i have done is to take your block off of your pad and spray all of your pads with wd40 then wipe them down also do the same thing with your ball and it will help some. It will with time start to loosen up but if you are engraving under a microscope like Rex is saying you really do not want to roll your block much anyways. I am just like you trying to work out all these bugs with these new tools can be a challange to say the least!

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
because I'm unable to get the vise to tip smoothly to the right as I engrave to the left. .

I'm with Rex, I can't understand what you are doing. I can't imagine why you want to move the vise at all if you are doing a straight line. Can you elaborate a bit more?

Andrew Biggs

Hi Michael

The Magnablock is a beast of a thing. It is also great for building up arm muscles :)..........but it's great for holding large parts.

For cutting straight lines I always move my hand and hold the vise steady. This is the opposite to cutting curves where I rotate the vise and hold my hand steady.

My Magnablock dosn't slide too freely on the tyre either.......and I don't really want it to as that can be a real pain sometimes, depending on what you are working on.......and how you work.

As Rex says.......time and use will free it up a bit but then you have the opposite problem sometimes where you may want to put a rag or rubber mat on the tyre from stopping it slipping so easily.

Just give it time and everything will start clicking into place. You are new, and so is your equipment, so I suspect that you are going through the "getting to know each other stage" at the moment.

Cheers
Andrew

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
I would just like to thank evereyone for helping me. What I thought was the problem was not a problem at all. I just finished my first practice plate, both sides. There is a visible difference and I am happy to report the 2nd side is greatly improved because of everyone's help. My straight lines are getting straighter and my scrolls are promising. Again, thank you to everyone for the help and thank you for your patience with a newbie such as myself.