Howard Hughes Hobo Nickel

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi there all you chaps in the 'colonies' (only joking LOL):p

I thought I'd post a picture of a hobo nickel I just carved. I started messing about with them recently and they're worse than Crack cocaine to an engraver - warning: carving these hobo nickels is highly addictive! Anyway, they're great fun to do but recently I've been tempted away from the traditional profile. I thought it'd be fun to do one of Howard Hughes and just started messing around with a nickel. This was carved totally freehand and is my first attempt at a 3/4 profile. Constructive critisism is welcome but I'm going through one of those lack of self confidence times so as I say, please make it constructive. I hope you enjoy looking at the nickel as much as I enjoyed carving it.

cheers,
Marcus

Andrew Biggs

Hi Marcus

Very nice indeed mate. Maybe a pattern or something in the gold outside border to take the plainess away and give more of a solid frame?. The gold lenses in the flying goggles are very appropriate for the man portrayed. Looks just like him.

Cheers
Andrew

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi Marcus. A 3/4 profile is difficult, and you've handled it very well. I think it's an excellent example of hobo nickel carving. Critique? Maybe blacken the letters? The goggle lenses might look cool if they were burnished bright, but these are just ideas. The only thing I don't like about it is that I didn't engrave it! It's an original subject, too. No one to my knowledge has carved ol' Howard before.

Addictive is right, and I can't think of a better way to hone engraving skills and have so much fun at the same time...and get PAID for it! / ~Sam

William Grubb

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus ,
For your first hobo nickel great job ! I've made a few myself ,and mine would not compare to yours, keep up the good work.

Bill

Last edited:

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice, it,s always a treat to see new subjects carved...How addictive is coin carving? i,ve been carving coins for ten years and keep making plans to start engraving knifes and small gun parts, but haven,t done it yet..i,ve slacked off some the last few years, i used to carve coins 40 or 50 hours a week, now it,s more like 20...