Spade Bit

MStewart

Hi all, here is a spade bit I just finished up, it is my second shot at relief style engraving so please feel free to share any and all criticisms, critiques, and points as they are all welcome. Thanks and have a great Christmas all.:)
Mark

Attachments

• Spade1.jpg
    Spade1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 204
  • Spade2.jpg
    Spade2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 195
  • Spade3.jpg
    Spade3.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 177

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Mark,
Very nice bit and I like the sweet copper Celtic inlay on the spade.
Great finish and nice background to the relief areas. Good photos too.
To be picky, you might give some thought to revising the scroll layout on the panel below the rein rings on your next one. These scrolls could have better flow.
Best regards,

Correction, after all my years in the horse world I still miss-spoke.
The upper ring are for the bridle not the reins, sorry.
But what can you expect from an ex-Brit horseman who only used a curb and snaffle. Ha ha.
John.

Last edited:

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Mark, nice job. Clean, crisp iron metal work, easy to see you invested quite a bit of time into it. I will second John B's comment, continue working on your ornamental designs, don't just put down scrolls to fill the space, use them to direct the eye and enhance the flow down the cheek. But overall it is nice looking bit, well done. Brian

MStewart

Thanks guy's for the comments, and I really agree with what you said John! I look at it now and The flow is poor to say the least in that panel. More drawing needed lol!

MStewart

Mark, that looks real cool man....

What is the actul thing, that is engraved?? I have never seen one, in real life...

Thanks Tattooer601, to answer your question the spade bit is used in a horses mouth being attached to a bridle and a romel "rawhide reins" the bit being of Vaquero origins. Also referred to as a signal bit because of the lightest touch it can be used with by the rider.
Mark

Wilson Capron

Mark just keep drawing and the scrolls will come. The bit looks great with clean metal work. One thing is you only have one place you inlayed gold and I thought you might have put it a couple of other places to balance or add to the focus a little more. Maybe some gold on the concho could have really brought the focal point there more and balanced the gold theme. I'm not real sure just some thoughts. Good job my friend and talk to you soon.