My name is Joe

Joe

I have been enjoying this forum for a long time and even threw in my two cents a few times. But I never made a proper introduction. So here goes.
My name is Joe Lanek, and I live in southern West Virginia. I have taken seven classes at GRS so I have had the priviledge and the pleasure to have met several of you. I followed the classes with only intermitant bouts of actual bench time largely due to the joy of working for a living. Yesterday, I "retired" after a shouting match with my boss. It was a long time coming and I am elated to have become a "full time engraver." I know with all of you out there in my corner, it'll be a joy.
If I understand the software, a half done practice plate will appear. I hope that your comments will come. And, I have thick skin.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 383

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks really good, my only comment is that the size you are doing this is much larger than you typically would for gun or knife commission.

Joe

Actually, Pilk, I found this plate in a drawer and was about to sand the light coat of rust off of it when I noticed the laser etch on it. I can't say for sure which class it came from but it is one of GRS' teaching plates. A smaller version of a similar subject is an idea that I am glad you passed along. A simple thought that I may have been a long time arriving at. Thank you.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I sure don't see anything wrong with that. It will be a challange at 1/4th that size. but not so bad as one might think. I think it looks great.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The temptation and opportunity to "retire" the way you did presents itself almost daily where I work. I have yet to act on the inclination or lack of patience with my sorry a$$ management to carry that out for myself, but I can think about it...a lot!

I wish you the best of luck and good fortune after giving the company what I call the "Johnny Paycheck". The buck looks good.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joe,

My only suggestion is that you fill in your member profile information so that when this thread sinks to the bottom of page 100, people will still be able to identify you. This is especially true beacuse there is another member identified as "Engraver Joe." Also enter your real name in the signature line so that potential patrons who see your work here will be able to identify you.

Since you are a full time engraver now you don't want to lurk behind a mysterious screen name. Your plate shows that you are capable of fine work and you will need exposure to capitalize on your talents. It is not just engravers who visit this forum.

Best wishes,

Roger

Joe

I opened this thread with doubts and second guessings. I am coming away confident and enthusiastic. Thank each of you for your words of encouragement.You can't know what this means to me. Thanks again.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joe, that is excellent work. The only thing I might suggest is a little more intensity.

Good luck to you on your engraving adventure. That is quite an achievement. Be proud of it.

Ron S

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joe, A very nice start. As I work across a piece I find that I go back to darken or lighten previously worked areas. This is because we see them in relation to new areas of the scene and it changes how it appears next to something new. In the end it all has to work together and if I have been using a scope I look very carefully with an optivisor so I can see the whole picture and make sure it all balances and works together. This will likely bringup the intensity that Ron is suggesting. Good luck my friend and you are most welcome to participate.