Design for a Buck Knife

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I still have a Buck knife that asks for being engraved. I did one whit Ron ‘s design, but I need another design.

So here is some idea, it is not shaded yet, but I was wondering if this is not to complicated to see with the naked eye.

So all comments are welcome

Arnaud

Attachments

• Buck002.jpg
    Buck002.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 177
  • Buck001.jpg
    Buck001.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 208

Cloudy

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think it looks wonderful, but I'm not really one to say! What style of Buck knife are you working with here?

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud, Andrew's the man to critique.
But there's one small point: the third scroll from the left has an element emerging from a scroll that looks bent. It doesn't have the flow that the rest of your design has. And is that a shadow just below. I'm not sure that my terminology makes sense.
Anyway, for what it's worth.
Kevin P.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, here is a shaded version, this help seeing the scrollwork I think. :big grin:

arnaud

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Arnaud: I think you are very close to having a quality design. The part I have marked in red stands out to me and needs some work. Nearly all of your scrolls follow the correct proportional spiral, but this one should be reworked.

The far left large scroll is ok, but I don't like the way it grows from the previous scroll. That's not so important right now...see what you can do with the one I marked first, then maybe address that later.

You're getting good at scroll design and all you need are a few little tweaks here and there.

~Sam

p.s. You have a nice balance of scroll to background. :thumbs up:

Attachments

• arnaud_knife.jpg
    arnaud_knife.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 122

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Sam for your comments,
Do you mean the one you marked in red should only be refined or better start growing from another scroll, the upper scroll on the right from the one you marked red.
Anyway, I perhaps will try both.

arnaud

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud, It is a lovely design and I would add that the shading is very nice. It does seem to me that from the center to the right end seems to have a more open background than center to left. Just my thoughts good cutting-Fred

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Because I like to learn from Arnoud's design I took a critical view and I thought that the backbone is stopping in the part that Sam has coloured, did I see that right or do I need more lessons in scrolldesign.
That's the only thing I could find, the rest looks very nice.
(but who am I to critisize Arnoud)
Willem

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Okay Sam, I refined the two scrolls you pointed on, I hope I fixed them the right way, at least I’m sure it is an improvement, if it can be better I like to hear it from you.
Don’t give to much attention on the shading, as it is only a drawing
And yes, I have to adjust the border :)

Thanks again giving me excellent feedback. :big grin:

arnaud

Last edited:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like the design Arnaud. It has a nice balance of light and dark as Sam stated.

Cloudy - If it is the knife I think, it is a "gent's" knife. Buck model 525. It is a thin knife that would fit in a jeans watch pocket.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Peter, the Buck knife is a bit bigger to fit in a jeans watch pocket.
GRS website shows them, and as far as I understand, the ones made for GRS are made of an alloy that cuts well.

arnaud

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Peter, the Buck knife is a bit bigger to fit in a jeans watch pocket.
GRS website shows them, and as far as I understand, the ones made for GRS are made of an alloy that cuts well.

arnaud

Interesting Arnaud. It is a larger knife than the one you posted from a while ago with Ron Smith's design on it?

If you look at the stamp on the blade, it should state the model # that Buck uses.

Hope to see it when you finish cutting your design.

Thanks

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Peter, it is indeed the same as the one with Ron’s design on it. On the blade is a stamp: Buck 525 USA

Hope this help

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors