Ask and ye shall receive

delder

Elite Cafe Member
I have a new neighbor who just so happens to be a retired cabinet maker. We're still in the getting to know eachother stage. I mention to him that I make jewelry and that I'm not happy with my current bracelet display. The very next day he knocks at my door with this bracelet display. I still can't get over it . Merry Christmas he says. All that's missing is the white beard and red suit. The copper bracelets are something different that I thought might sell at the local gift shop. I'm sure the new display with help.Well, back to work. Fortunately , I have some orders to fill. Happy Holidays to all , and thanks for all the help this past year.

Attachments

• DSC00157 (3).jpg
    DSC00157 (3).jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC00122 (3).jpg
    DSC00122 (3).jpg
    82 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC00142 (4).jpg
    DSC00142 (4).jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 198

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That bracelet in photo 3 is beautiful! I really like that.

If we all put more effort into being the kind of neighbor you have there, we'd be in a lot better shape as a nation and as individuals. Just goes to show that kindness and selflessness are still alive and well.

tbear

Great work, nice looking stand and great neighbor. Picture #3, how did you blacken the copper? Does it hold up well and did you engrave after blackening the copper? I can see that the finish must hold up during and after bending. Keep up the great work.
T

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice work. It is nice to have good neighbors. so are you going to give the bracelet to you neighbor as a gift?

I too am interested in how you blackened the copper, also I was wondering if you coat the bracelet with something after you are done to keep the shinny part shinning and to make it so it does not turn your skin green?

Mike

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow! Christmas really did come early for you. What a great neighbour and skilled craftsman you have there.

Like the others say, the bracelet in picture 3 looks fabulous. I too am wondering how you blackened it for contrast and how durable the finish is? Do you use a varnish to seal it so it keeps from oxidising?

delder

Elite Cafe Member
I have experimented with various patinas that don't seem to hold up to wear. The best product I've found so far is simple cold gun blue. I sandblast the surface first which seems to give the chemical a better surface to grab onto. Heat the metal then usually two coats of blue. It's remarkably durable. I cut right through the blackened finish . I coat the piece with Renaissance wax which will eventually wear off, but I'm not opposed to the look of oxidized copper. No complaints yet. The lady who runs the store where my pieces are, asked me to make some inexpensive bracelets. This was my first attempt.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It looks great, very classy! What sort of time do you have in a copper bracelet and what do they go for, if you don't mind me asking? I'm just interested as this looks like a great little enterprise you have there.

delder

Elite Cafe Member
He has actually offered to make more if I need them. He has even suggested we make them in a darker wood. Yes, I do owe him.He won't take any money , but I'm going to insist on it . There are several more shops I would like to place these in.
It takes me around 1 1/2hrs to make the style in the photo. I ask $40 for them. I could probably cut down the time to 1hr, but you know what happens when you rush.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Delder,

Are the stores "keystoning" your prices double or triple? I know the economy is shaky right now, but $40 is too low for your skill level, time, the cost of materials, delivery to stores etc. Just my 2 cents. Anyway, great designs and lucky for such a great neighbor!

Mark