More Mini Mag Lites

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Here are some of the Mini Mag Lites that I have done for Christmas gifts. The anodized aluminum does flake a little on these, I don't think it is something I am doing wrong. I am using a 120 with a 45 degree face. Maybe these small lights flake a little more than the big ones. I have not tried the bigger ones yet. But after doing these, I am sure I will be trying one soon.

Comments Encouraged.
:beerchug:

Attachments

• Mini Mag Initals 006.jpg
    Mini Mag Initals 006.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Mini Mag Initals 005.jpg
    Mini Mag Initals 005.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Mini Mag Initals 007.jpg
    Mini Mag Initals 007.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Mini Mag Initals 009.jpg
    Mini Mag Initals 009.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Mini Mag Initals 010.jpg
    Mini Mag Initals 010.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 39

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carl,

Are you using the parallel heel? Sometimes when you get flaking it is because you are cutting above the heel and the parallel heel will cure this. Also another suggestion: Back cut the end of each line so that it ends squared off and not tapered to a point. I have attached an illustration for you.

Roger

Attachments

• Back cut.jpg
    Back cut.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 80

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Carl,

Are you using the parallel heel? Sometimes when you get flaking it is because you are cutting above the heel and the parallel heel will cure this. Also another suggestion: Back cut the end of each line so that it ends squared off and not tapered to a point. I have attached an illustration for you.

Roger

Thanks Roger
I am using a parrallel heel. I also see the need for backcutting and will do so before I give these for Christmas. I doubt that I will photograph them after the touch up. But I will surely check each one and do all the correction I can.
I appreciate your post, and good to hear from you again.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
they look good Carl. Flaking of anodizing seems to be subjective to the invidual light, nothing to do with size. You might try using a 90 degre graver, since the flaking is taking place right exactly where the anodized shell meets the raw aluminum. The 90, having to cut deeper to get the same width, may get you below the surface to give a cleaner break of it.

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
I've done one or two of these lites........
or maybe that's one or two Hundred over the years.... :)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
carl: when you cut this stuff, do you use any lubricant ? if not, things may go a bit easier if you do.

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
carl: when you cut this stuff, do you use any lubricant ? if not, things may go a bit easier if you do.

Well duh!!!! I had to go see if I had turned Blond, I hadn't even thought of using a lube. Thanks Monk.

CJ. Thanks for the post. I hope to have a bunch under my belt by next year.

Hey Dennis, good to see you on the Café, and thanks for the comment. Kind words and criticism are always appreciated.

Last edited: