Line engraving machine

Scratchmo

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I just cleared out my storage box and took pics of everything. I came across this machine I picked up many years ago and think I have it figured out but I'm wondering if anyone else on the forum has seen or used such a thing.

I believe it is used for shade lines on printing plates. A plate is mounted in the middle, and the device can be advanced an equal amount with each scribed line. With the rotary feature, one can produce concentric curved lines, or used in conjunction with the straight line feature for radiant lines.

It just has a scribing point that is pushed down like on a pantograph. I think the idea was to just scribe through a resist and then acid etch the lines.

Also, a lot of my other equipment (mostly minting equipment) is on my Facebook page...
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2028788&id=1525372521

Sorry, I tried several times, but I can't upload the pics for the liner machine, but it's in my facebook album.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Ron: I believe that's a ruling machine. I've always thought one of those could be used to make backgrounds in scroll engraving if it's not restricted to flat surfaces (which it probably is). In any event, that's what they use to make the incredibly perfect lined backgrounds on printing plates. What a cool toy! I'd have some fun with that thing.
~Sam

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Robert Swartley is known to have used a lining or ruling machine in his gun engraving as far back as the 1970's. I would suspect that he still uses it on the engraved plates for wine labels.

RB

Sam

Staff member
Swartley beat me to it 30 years ago? Oh well, so much for my fresh idea! :big grin:

Scratchmo

Hi Scratcmo

I tried the link you gave and it askes for a log in number etc.

Send me the picture if you like and I'll upload it for you :)

Cheers
Andrew

I will if you can give me your email address. For some reason, I can't upload pics on or through this site. It just freezes on UPLOADING. I made the image files very small, and still nothing.

Sam

Staff member
Sounds like a computer issue on your end, Ron. I've tested it and everything seems to be working ok. I'll keep my eyes open for any problems, though.

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
As I was able to figure the machine's capacity without seeing it, I guess this is the table of a complete computerized system. The modus operandi of such machines is breaking up the fed picture or drawing into horizontal lines, interpreting black as cutter down and white as cutter up (idol run over the surface). I have seen such machine working with flexible thin metal sheets in 1989. It was producing exact incised copy on brass or copper sheets, even from multicolor feed. The owner of that machine made a copy of his Citizenship Certificate, with outstanding outcome. The running time was lengthy, and it was useful only on materials flexible enough to be bent around the drum.

Greetings - Ivan

jfava

That's an old Cronite Ruling machine. They still make them. Fairly expensive little buggers at $3500 new.

All of the straight and curved line work on our currency and stock certs are done with this machine. The diamond drag on it cuts through a ground then etched. There is also a wavy line attachment for it as well.

I've been meaning to buy one at some point. It has been a while since I've had access to one and they do come in quite handy if you like printing... and have alot of patience.
:tiphat:

Scratchmo

I would consider selling it. Or in Tim Well's case, I'd be willing to trade for a Martin D45 :) Seriously, I don't know what to ask, or even what I paid for it originally. Does $1500 sound fair?

Latest posts

Sponsors