Some Bulino Dots and Lines

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
After studding Chris DVD about basic Bulino, I made me a C-Max Bulino graver like Chris demonstrate.
This is not an animal, never the less it is Bulino in my opinion.
The background is done with dots, and sure they can be even much smaller. Narda is cut with a regular graver for the outlines, than I added short lines in both directions to make them black.

The banderol is shaded with short lines in different directions like Chris demonstrate on his DVD how to make something looks round.
I tried to set both the tone (different greys and black) and shape.

So I think this is was a good practice to start with the real Bulino work, and in the meanwhile I made a pendant for the dog of my youngest daughter for Christmas.
The plate is Titanium with a diameter and the circle is 25mm

And as far as I understand till now, scroll engraving and Bulino, it is all the same. Just a drawing without a pencil on small size.

The part on six o clock where the scrolls meet is a bit weird I think, it would have been better in de design if I add a central shape there. Never the less, I like it but all comments are welcome, as I still need a lot to learn about all of engraving.

arnaud

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, thank you both Ron and Tattooer.
For me it was a good practice to do this dots and small lines using a Bulino graver.
But I know what it means 2 reply and 228 views. And as I want to make some of these dog tags as I have a friend who is running a dog school, I need some better designs.

Sure the ones of Jeff are beautiful, but I think they will come out a bit expensive.
So here is another design, not too complicated, but in my opinion it is better balanced.

Comments sure are welcome, arnaud

Attachments

• Narda02.jpg
    Narda02.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 290
  • Scan50191.jpg
    Scan50191.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow Arnoud, ( ik had hem even gemist..) really beautiful tag!!
Nice you showed the drawings as well.
The one on the left, how did you create this drawing (is it a drawing???)
I think you're right about the better balance in the second design.
Willem

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Willem, This is the way I do the drawing, I start with a pencil to do the backbone, after that I add the leaves. After that I make a scan of the pencil drawing so I can refine it using Adobe Illustrator. (Vectors)
It is then quite easy to make the background black on another layer so I can see the balance.
After that I use the pencil “Indian Inkâ€￾ to add some tapered shading lines. I don’t need those shading lines to be transferred of course, but it produces me a good plan what I will do.

The vector mainlines I print them with my laserjet on the bakery parchment to be transferred, as a scanned pencil draw does not print these tiny lines.
Here is a detail of it, as vectors can be resized very easy without losing any details.

arnaud

Attachments

• Narda02detail.jpg
    Narda02detail.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 89

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you for this explanation Arnaud, i am still not that good with photoshop-programms but I am aware that I should work on that.
(perhaps a trip to Belgium one day;))

D.DOUGLAS

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud, Those are really coming out nicely. Sounds like you have drawing to transfer down perfect. I like the second design a little better also but like you said the first one could be changed or something added. I am going to have to try out some titanium. It sounds like that is easily obtainable for you. I noticed you do lots of work in titanium as well as precious metals. Doug

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Scott, I’m glad you like the design.

Doug, indeed I do a lot of Titanium work, especially wedding rings as the gold price is that high, a lot of people prefer Titanium as an alternative for white gold.
I only work with Ti plate, as I can weld the Titanium. This makes it possible to make asymmetric rings.

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors