another stiff vise

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
recently got a grs centering vise. the shift lever as well as the rotation are a bit more stiff than i like. is there a home brewed fix, other than the emergency room at emporia ??

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
GRS Centering Vice

Monk

I have a GRS centering vice as well as a new Lindsay Goliath that I am very happy with.

I purchased the Goliath because I was unhappy with the GRS vice.

I complained to GRS about the rotational stiffness.

I explained that I had adjusted the drag as loose as I could.

Then one day I took the vice apart and found I could, loosen the drag even farther than I had been.

When I practically took the drag adjustment completely out I found it was very free.

Keep backing the drag way past the point when you think it should be free.

Stay with it you will like it.

Now the shift lever is another matter, completely out of my league.

Ken

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Monk: The roller bearing inside the positioning vise can easily be bent or distorted if the crown of the vise came loose during transport. This can cause drag in one spot. If this is the case remove the crown and inspect the bearing. It can be gently coaxed back to correct shape if it's bent.

Ken's advice for the adjustable drag sounds good. I've not had to work on one, though.

I don't have a positioning vise and don't know much about the lever other than I don't care for its stiffness. My preference is for a smaller vise mounted on a turntable which I find has more travel and is faster for what I do. It's all in what you get used to, though.

~Sam

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sometimes it can be as simple as the thrust bearing/shims jumping out of the "groove" during shipment. Go to the GRS web site and you can download complete instructions and parts list.
As far as the lever being hard, I have heard that people put lighter springs on it.
Rex

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Monk, I'm sure hoping you get the answer to this one. Please let me know.
I had my positioning vise lever action readjusted by the factory and it worked well for a very short time.
Now it's back to needing two men and a boy to adjust so I just push the brute around on the turntable if I need to be using a big vise.
Like Sam, I switch to a small vise when that will work.

monk

Staff member
does the top half just lift off ? i don't like to fiddle when i'm not sure what i'm doing. how is it that the drag is reduced once the top is off ? and rex, i'll go to the site and check out the instructions. thanx to all..

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
monk: I'm pretty sure if you remove the drag screw the top will lift straight off.

monk

Staff member
well, sam, as usual the fool replies : as rex suggested , i checked the grs drawing. i didn't even realize there was a drag screw !! after looking at the drawing, i see no problem in adjusting the vise. thanks, everybody !!

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Monk,

If you phone GRS or email, and ask attention to " J B", I am sure he will give quick advice. He knows those vises inside out.

One very common neglect solution has already been mentioned .... the set screw has an interspaced spring loaded item that presses to the shaft for friction, so loosen the set screw well beyond what feels loose.

Rod

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Mine spins free enough.
It's the positioning lever that is a bear to get to release.
The equipment guru at the factory, JB made it work for a short time.
But it soon reverted to the same problem.
If anyone knows the fix please share it with me.
Best.

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
John:
I was having the problem of taking two hands and both feet to release the lever also. My fix was to take the vice apart, and remove one of the springs, now I can work it one handed. Just make sure to save the spring.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hi Everett,
Thanks for your help.
I may have to resort to removing one of the springs again.
That was my "farm fix" a few years ago before it got returned to the factory for a an approved remedy.
Glad to hear you have yours working OK, trust an old Navy man to get 'er done.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I watched JB take the vise apart at GRS.

As I remember, the spring ends go over two pins ... put lengths of 1/16 rod into the holes in the dowels before you take the springs off, this will assist re-assembly.

Rod

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Will do, Rod.
That's about the same thing thing when you remove the hammer spring and strut in a modern S&W revolver.
Only there, a bent paper clip is the ticket.
Now to find the time to get it done.
Best.

monk

Staff member
well, gents-- the drag trick worked--amazing what simple solutions can bring joy.
j.b. an engineer friend looked at the grs printout. i told him of your problem. he guessed that what grs did was to simply replace your springs and maybe use some kind of "hi tech" lube which evaporated in a few days. he suggested to tear down the vise, take one of the springs to a good hardware store that stocks large assortments of springs. buy a couple of matched sets that are the same dimension as yours, but have less tension. this would work. i'm going to give this a try myself. good luck, john.

monk

Staff member
powderhorn: ii didn't see your fix until just now. that may be even better. will the lever without the spring still function ? or is it then disabled ?

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for putting up this thread Monk :thumbs up:
I got the positioning vise for my birthday earlyer this month and find it a bit stiff in the rotation as well. Although I did put the screw out. I took the bearrings out and washed them from the grease that was on it and it rotate's better now but still not as good as my turntable and my $110,- india vise.
I am going to get one of the springs out to see if I can then handle the slide lock with one hand.
Good advise all around,
Thank's,

Daniel

monk

Staff member
the turntable was cool for a time. but eventually i grew tired of too much chasing around. i find the centering vise to be much more to my enjoyment. thanx, all.