Small Monogram

leroytwohawks

Elite Cafe Member
I'm practicing on doing some small Monograms on silver, this one still has some scroll to fill in the inside line of the D but I thought I'd show it now before I screwed more things up!:big grin: I was using a 116% graver on this, do you think I need to be using a Bulino point? What do most of y'all use for this kind of small work?

Kevin

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Your cutting looks very neat. A bit more rolling of the graver in certain areas will give it dimension and sparkle. I use a common 120 for this type of work, but I don't know of any reason a 116 won't work.

I'm not sure about the top of the monogram where lines cross one another. Keep in mind that it's oftentimes better to leave a little space where one crosses the other, but it's hard for me to tell in the photo exactly what's going on in that spot.

You did well, Kevin. It's an intricate design and going to be really nice when you're done. / ~Sam

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
I have tried different angles, i like the 105° most for silver with a 45° face and a very short heel. In the upper area - did you cross all vertical elements?
Tomorrow i'll finish the wax-model, Kevin.

EDIT The Benevolent Dictator was faster than me...

leroytwohawks

Elite Cafe Member
Well I added a picture of what I was going for, and your right Sam that top someone else pointed out to me also, but as you can see in the pic I added that top was tough to decide how to do. Thanks Mario, looking forward to getting it, I still have to find someone to design one of this style with the initials LTH for the one I'll be doing for myself.

Kevin

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice work Kevin !!!, i am sure not only your new scope is the reason for this improvement. You're doing very well!!

Your design reminds me of a set of monogram designs that were made for the New Century Engraving Machine around 1900. The designs were printed on a kind of oilskin paper so they could be layered on top of each other and the overall design traced to produce the outline. The machine had a clear plastic circle with parallel grooves cut into one side. By laying the plastic over the design, it was possible to produce shading.
I own one of the machines in almost complete condition and a complete set of the monogram letters. During the last year I had a store, in my odd moments, I scanned the type into my computer and digitalized the outlines. Using Corel Draw, I created a type font with the vertical letters as the capitals and the horizontal letters as lower case. That way, if I decide to use the design in hand engraving, I don't have to handle the antique paper. (I also converted a few of the hard material sets into fonts as well.)

If anyone is interested in having a copy of the fonts, would they please let me know how to upload them on the site. I'd prefer to do it once rather than sending a number of emails. I'm on dial-up. The modem is just another of my antiques.

Peace,
Francis

leroytwohawks

Elite Cafe Member
Francis, I would love to have a copy but I'm not sure what site you could put it up on so more people could get it. I think it might help me design a monogram for myself because I love this style of font and can't find it anywhere.

Kevin

If anyone is interested in having a copy of the fonts, would they please let me know how to upload them on the site. I'd prefer to do it once rather than sending a number of emails. I'm on dial-up. The modem is just another of my antiques.

Peace,
Francis

Andrew Biggs

Hi Francis

That is a very generous offer thank you. It's also an interesting description that you have given and sounds facinating :)

You would have to upload them to a web site and create a link so the members could access it and download.

If that is a problem for you............You can send the files to me and I can do all of that for you easily enough.

Cheers
Andrew

CJ Tate

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice - and very small. I, too, don't think it is just the scope.

I do have a question though - are you still happy with your new scope? I am looking to purchase one also.

Francis, I am interested in font also.

leroytwohawks

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you CJ Tate, and all the rest whom commented, and yes I still am very happy with my scope. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from buying one of the more well known name brand scopes but I have had no problems with the one I use, it has a good working distance and plenty of adjustment in both the focal range and stand. I think just because it's a less well known company and less expensive scope, that it should not automatically mean bad. I did alot of research on the company and looked at there long satisfied customer list including many well known company's and University's before I purchased one. In my opinion it is more than just a beginner scope and can take you well into your engraving business. That said If I would have had the money I probably would have been one of those people that would have gone out and spent a few thousand on a Meiji or the like, but that's just the way I am.:big grin: For someone with limited funds I think this is a great way to start, and to be honest I don't think it would have made a big difference in what I could see, as it is I can zoom in enough now that the lines on this small monogram can look like large canyons.:shock: And that's my 2, 4 or 6 cents worth.

Thanks again for all the encouraging comments,
Kevin

Very nice - and very small. I, too, don't think it is just the scope.

I do have a question though - are you still happy with your new scope? I am looking to purchase one also.

Francis, I am interested in font also.

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have ordered the same scope, I can't comment the quality and use right now because I haven't received it jet, but searching here in Europe didn't bring me to a better or cheaper alternative.
Even including shippingcost's and import duty I had to spend al lot more here in Europe for a simular scope.

And yes Francis, i am interested in the fonts as well!!;)

Latest posts

Sponsors