Metal Preperation

Yves Halliburton

Elite Cafe Member
What is the proper preperation for steel firearms prior to, during and after engraving (burs, etc.). If it is a new firearm and the blue has been removed, leaving the gray finish, at what level of sanding or polishing and with what materials are needed if the firearm is going to be reblued after engraving. I know the least amount of sanding once you start cutting is best and I am assuming we want the finisher do to the minimal if none at all prior finishing.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yves,

I do mostly knives and pens but I do average a gun or two a year. When I have a gun job I have the customer send it to a reputable gun finisher to prep it for engraving.

Here is my reason on that. The gun polisher has the tools, experience and desire to do that kind of work. The customer is better off paying the finisher for doing what he is good at and paying me for what I am good. A good finisher can prep that gun in a much shorter time than I can and will probably save the customer money becasue of it.

The nice thing on my end is that the gun is in the white and ready to go when I get it.

After engraving, I only lightly hit the surface with a fine micro graded sanpaper on a block to cut any burs and that is it. I also make sure to leave instrucitons with whoever is doing the bluing to not touch the finish, just clean it and dip it.

Ray

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
When I was at New Orleans Arm Co., I did my own prep work, and it's a lot of WORK to do it correctly. Factory guns are rarely as crisp and sharp as they could be, and frequently have edges and lines that are crooked and corners that are rounded off. Extensive filing is necessary, followed by stoning and polishing.

Preparing a gun for engraving is an art in itself. I once saw a small, cheap stainless .380 auto that Lynton McKenzie prepped and engraved for the president of Paraguay that would blow your mind. Even before engraving he transformed it into a beautiful little gem of a gun.

If you can find someone to do this work, follow Ray's advice and pay 'em to do it. It's definitely a good skill for an engraver to know, though. / ~Sam

Yves Halliburton

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks

Thank's guys. By the way Sam, I called Guesswin and specified what I wanted. 1/4" stones in 320, 400, and 600 grit, as I could not find it on their site. The only thing she could find was a 6" x 1/2" square stones in those grits and I know your's were 1/4" square. Do you actually have those part no's. I am at a loss.:(

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Found this information under Abrasives then Stones

Gesswein Pencil Stones
Fast-cutting, aluminum oxide abrasive material in a size convenient for stoning small or intricate areas. For general purpose stoning on most metals. Semihard, moderate breakdown rate. Available in 320, 400, 600 and 800 grit.
Also available in 600 grit with a unique organic resin bond (Style RA-46), giving the stone resiliency and making it ideal for hard-to-reach areas. Resistant to breakage even under heavy use. Leaves a finer finish than expected given the grit size.

Recommended for harder metals. All measure 4" long x 5/32" square. Use with Pencil Stone Holder #403-0050.

Peter

Sam

Staff member
Moderate breakdown is probably not a good choice, especially for stoning gold, as they tend to load with gold particles. Rapid breakdown work best for me.

Yves: My stones are 1/4" x 6" and marked as follows:

"400 GESSWEIN USA 402" which is 400 grit.
"GESSWEIN USA 302 320" which is 320 grit.
"GESSWEIN USA 1602" which is 600 grit.

I also have an assortment of smaller square sizes which are 4" long. I use those for hobo nickels because they're smaller and shape faster.

Remember that these stones are not in the Gesswein jewelers supply catalog, but in their industrial abrasives catalog. They have a confusing assortment of stones, and the rapid breakdown stones have performed the best for my work. / ~Sam

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I just took delivery on Gesswein stones today. The item numbers are:450-7602, 450-7302, 450-7102, 450-7002. All are ultra soft stones 1/4" by 6" long. Not cheap, but good.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I really like their moldmakers stones and their supra ceramic stones

The supra stones are very pricey but being made of ceramic fiber they last a LONG time. When used with gesswien blue oil I have had no problems with loading.

I generally use the moldmakers stones for general work but when I have tight little places to get into I like the supra ceramics. Those little 1mmx2mm stones can be shaped to get into tiny spots and they hold their shape well.

Gesswein also sells a sample kit of their pencil stones that comes with a holder handle and a bottle of their blue oil. It sells for $36 if I remember correctly.
I think the number is #415-1026.

They do not have this particular set in their catalog. the $66 set in their catalog has been replaced with this set.

THis has a sampling of all their types of stoens they carry so you can try them all out and see which stones you like for which applications.

Ray

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Back to metal prep for guns.
The absolute worst thing you can do to the metal work on a gun is touch it to a power buffer.
Every thing that you do to a barreled action or an action should be done by hand.
So many fine fire arms have been ruined because some one who has little or no experience in metal prep uses a power buffer. Corners are rounded, lettering is washed out and waves are buffed into barrels. As Sam stated hand work is hard, but not as hard as telling a customer that you have ruined his treasure!

Yves Halliburton

Elite Cafe Member
stones

Thanks Ray, Glen and Sam. I found the stones under Finishing Stones-Gesswein Moldmaker. I also found the Ultra Soft. I will try these too. For anyone wanting the product no's, here they are.

Rapid breakdown 1/4" x 1/4" x 4"
320 grit - 410-0302
400 grit - 410-0402
600 grit - 410-0602

Utra Soft (more rapid) 1/4" X 1/4" X 6"
320 grit - 450-7302
600 grit - 450-7602
1200 grit - 450-7002

Appreciate all the help.

Sam

Staff member
Yves: I have a few of the ultra soft stones. The ones I have are white and I find them way too soft. Your mileage may vary.

Next time I order I'm going to try some of the ones Ray recommended. / ~Sam

Latest posts

Sponsors