monster under the microscope

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Has anyone else been engraving and a fly, bug, etc land on the object you,re engraving and you,re looking at a monster under your microscope...i,ve been known to throw my graver and jump up from chair when this has happened..

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Yes, Scott Pilkington and I were recently discussing how silly we feel when we get startled by a bug under the scope, only to find that it's the size of a pinhead!

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Since Abigail likes her humming birds, I thought I would pass on my story. I was totally invloved in an engraving project and had a humming bird fly right over my head. I thought it was the world's LARGEST bee... Man, do they make quite a bit of noise when you don't expect it. I hit the floor like a sniper attack.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
awh come on guys buck up a little. Where's your dignity:)
Mike

Attachments

• bug2.jpg
    bug2.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 186

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dang! Do you guys engrave next to the dumpster or what?:confused:

I can't remember the last time I had a bug sneak up on me under the scope.

Maybe I smell too bad and just repell them.:eek:

Ray

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hay Ray,
Did you know if you can find a dead bumble bee and you tie some black thread carefully around it's middle.
They go through the air like they are flying. This work really well with a long stick. Say you just happen to fly it past
someone working on the bench with his visor down. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Abigail

Administrator
I've heard of tieing a thread around a bumble bee's middle, but not around a dead one.
Have you ever gone cow tipping?
Abigail

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
.There next door but I've never been temped. Those farmers are pretty big boys. A Holstein can be worth up to a million
dollars. The Canadian will not execute someone but the Jail sentences can be long. Better to leave the cows alone.
There are lots of stupid thing to keep us entertained. The long stand, left handed pliers, solder jewellers saw blades back together , blue stream, mirrors on the shoe, penny glued to the bench pin, toothless saw in the frame, cellophane on the toilet,
and lots more. You can't become the shop manager until you learn them all.

One thing Kids, nothing dangerous. It's just to easy to get hurt in a shop. Not to mention the diamond that went flying.
Timing is everything. Never disturb the engraver or the diamond setter when there working. You will find no humor in their
eyes when there leveled on you. So play safe as we tell the farm kids

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I remember the diamond magnet being what the newbe would be sent after. I don't know but as a kid I think tipping a millon dollar cow would have been pretty cool. I was a fast runner:)
Mike

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Abby your question was a good one.

I was doing some thinking about why pranks are mildly tolerated in big
shops. What is going on is a prank, it's a question, "how will you
react in crisis"and "who are you"? Do we share the same ideas
as to how to react? How much do you know? In other words,
how much do you have to be taught. The other half of the coin is,
what's this manager like. So it's dialogue, that saves time.

For one thing we can't afford to have a new guy have a crisis on
something worth more than two people earn in a year. It's done
with humor to not put to much stress on anybody.
Humor also lighten criticism and makes it less caustic. You don't want
a stricken new guy dragging himself around the shop and being more
terrified than is necessary. One of the new guys will own his own shop
and is the future.Besides, a happy shop runs smoother.

If two guy have an argument over,who knows what?Humor will defuse it
quicker, and get then working together again. I use a lot of humor in the
shop when I have a crew. It keeps things light and helps me gage what
the crews mood is in. If you tell a good joke and it falls flat, then
something is up. Before the turmoil gets out of hand you can adjust
the satiation. You would think this wouldn't involve an engraver, but I've
been in two shops where it has. You would think most of us work alone,
but the two I knew were a business within a business. As I have been
from time to time.

Abby.
The real reason I don't tip cows, is the cows don't think it's funny.
:)

Abigail

Administrator
Jim,
I think you haven't been around the right cows. All the cows I've tipped were laughing as soon as they realized what was going on. Ya just gotta know which cows to tip.

And Sam, ummm...I've never seen a cow that doesn't do a good job. Eat eat eat eat eat, sleep. Eat eat eat eat, sleep. (I'm talking beef cows..not dairy).

Abigail

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Abigail, i don,t remember tipping a cow lately, but i did rescue a pot belly pig not long ago, he was chasing cars on the highway in front of our house, yes it had us rolling in laughter, but it was causing a traffic jam ...The man that owned him said he was raised up with a dog that chased cars.. a few days after i caught him and penned him up, the man that owned him gave him away because of his bad habits..Not long after he was given away, he was involved in a big open pit barbecue, very much involved..

Abigail

Administrator
Santo,
Yup. My name is Abigail and I AM a bonafide country girl.;) I love my grits and I'm most happy when I'm barefooted.
As far as my city cousins, yes, we did pull many many pranks on them, and at our family reunions we usually tell the same stories over and over. One story in particular involves stealin watermelons, a 'planted' disgruntled farmer, a shotgun, and a barbed wire fence. Long story, but, the cousins deserved it. LOL

Bill,
A pig that chases cars?!?!? :eek: That is hilarious. Did anyone video? America's Funniest Home Videos would have loved that one.

Cheers!
Abigail

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Just remembered something else about the car chasing pot belly pig, his owner had him trained to play dead, he would hollar at him to play dead, the pig would lay down, roll over and stick his feet up in the air and not move..]ps] Abigail, i too am country, but i don,t get called a country boy very often, they just call me a old hillbilly.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Speaking of country folk. I remember when I was young we would steal corn from the corn fields at Halloween to throw at porches. Well one time we did it and the farmer was waiting and one of my friends ended up with a tail full of rock salt, he cried all the way home. Needless to say we never went back to that cornfield. Nowadays we probable could have retired by suing the farmer:)
Mike

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Abigail,
So I was driving back to Zurich one day form the States. I had just got into town when this
big thing crosses the road in town. What the heck was that. It looked like a big big bird,
it was an Emu. This is on the highway which happen to be Mains St. I didn't
a transport that go whistle through town, taking out the bird. This was a fully grown bird.
So I called one of my friends. Off and on he had actually work for the farmer that own the
birds I was to find out. Good thing you called me, they can kick like an ostrich.
So we each took a wing and walk the bird home. Remember I was raised in Detroit,
this stuff isn't second nature to me. Thing's that weight more than I do, make me
nervous. All I could think was the question, " You lost what, how"? It wasn't the bird
I was worried about.

Jim

Last edited:

Sponsors