????'s from a newbie

ihsfab

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all. I have enjoyed looking around here for some time and learning a wonderful amount of stuff that would have taken me a long time by myself to figure out. One of the things I was wanting to know is have any of you use the GRS System 3 for engraving? Do any of you use the quick change for the gravers or are they a waste of time? Thanks and keep making chips.

Kulley

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Kulley,

I too have no experience with the System 3, but I did have a different graver system before the Gravermax. In the prior system, to change the graver you needed to find the hex key to loosen and tighten the graver tip. It was a real pain in the butt. With the Quick Change system it's so easy and fast you never hesitate to change tips even for a short time. The only draw-back however, is the cost factor. The Quick Change collars are somewhere around $5.00 each. So the cost adds up as your collection of gravers mushrooms. But it's worth every penny in terms of efficiency. And efficiency is important, even to amateur engravers, it creates better habits.

Mark

Rick Eaton

Elite Cafe Member
Kulley,
I have tried most of the engravings systems and have a few friends who used the system 3, I would not suggest the system 3, most who have had one have sold them and upgraded to gravermaxes or gravermach.
For the person who is not sure how much they are going to engrave, with a small budget they are an OK way to start, but I will emphasize this is not one of the better machines, its just a get by till I can afford a better one. Personally I would not go this way I would save up for the gravermach.
Hope this helps.
Rick

Mick

Kulley
Awhile back a shop I worked at got a System 3 thinking it would be a cost effective answer to a Graver Max. A week later we sent it back. Very limited in it's applications.
As far as the quick change hand pieces, I wouldn't be without them.
Mick

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Kulley: The QuickChange feature is a godsend. As for the System 3, I would really urge you to hold off until you can get something more advanced. You'll be glad you did. / ~Sam

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Kully, I have the new GraverMax SC and am very pleased with it versatility. I'll be posting a picture of a practice plate done with it as soon as I can figure out how. Also, like the rest, I love the quick change system; it saves a lot of time.

ihsfab

Elite Cafe Member
I have found a older gravermate forsale would that be worth the time to look at it or should I look at buying a newer unit? I'm glad to hear about the quick change gravers it sounds like a worthy investment.

Kulley

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
I used a gravermate and a 901 handpiece for about 2 years before i brought a gravermax and the monarch handpiece... I carved over 200 coins while i had the gravermate and it did a great job..i can,t say anything bad about a gravermate and i put hundreds of hours on mine unit...i,ve carved over 300 coins with my gravermax and it does a great job, with never a problem, but most likely i,ll be up dating to a gravermach soon...

ihsfab

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for all the wonderful info. I have a chance to get a gravermeister and I think that I am going to get it because I don't have a very big air compressor and its very noisy so thanks again.

Kulley

Latest posts

Sponsors