The Hummingbird Lady

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Abigail, My wife is a "bird" woman too. We get the hummers in the summer till about mid-October.
Never tried the hand feeding trick, the pics are great. thnks for sharing,
happy New Year,
Kent

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Abigail,
I was studying your photos very carefully. Is that Sam I see wrapped around your little finger?:D
Great photo shoots!

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's really cool. I always like putting food out for them, their a neat little bird. It's amazing you where able to hand feed them like that. Just a suggestion maybe some safety glasses those things are so fast and they get aggresive with each other. You never know.
Mike

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Amazing photos. That must have been SO COOL having humming birds eating out of your hand and seeing them so close.

Peter

msar24

That's really a great picture. Love to watch the hummingbirds, except that one time I was hunting, dressed all in cammo and a hummingbird was trying to figure out how to find some food in that funny looking busg sitting on a rock. :)

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Mrs. Abigail,
How long did it take you to get the little giants to feed out of your hand? My wife and I have designed our back yard to attract them. The closest that we can get to them is about two feet. Those pics are great. I just re read the info that goes with the pics. Do you think they were the same birds over the couple of days?

Last edited:

Abigail

Administrator
Hi Sandy,
I just assumed they were the same birds. I guess I can't be sure, though. I thought they were just getting used to me being out there with them. It does take a little time and patience, but honestly, it wasn't really that hard.
We only had one feeder put up, and when I took that away, it was my hand or nothing! LOL Next year, we will video.
Just recently I had a television station out of Canada contact me. Somehow they had found my website. They asked if they could send a television production crew to my house. Unfortunately the birds were already gone by then. Sam told me to tell them that they could fly us to Costa Rica and that I could "call them up" there. LOL
I'm glad you are enjoying the pictures. Let me know if ya'll try it next year.
Cheers!
Abigail

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
I am going to try it next spring when the honey suckel and the trumpeter vines are in bloom. Pat on the back from me. You have done a remarkable thing by getting them to feed out of your hand. My hat is off to you. If I get one even close my day has been made.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just got the Hummingbird Lady chain email again today. It was forwarded on from my cousin in Alabama. I wish I had a dollar for every time someone has sent it to me. You just never know what will become viral and circle the globe a kazillion times. But, it was nice to look at the photos... again. :biggrin:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Yes, we wish we had a dollar for each one, too! Viral indeed...we sent those pics to about a half-dozen of our friends and they're still circulating the globe. Abigail was hand-feeding some hummingbirds about a month ago. I think she put a short video clip on Facebook.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
a friend in Denver sent it to me a couple years ago. when i saw it i thought, "Hey, I know a Sam Alfano in Louisiana and his wife's name is Abigail. Hmmm......."

we don't get the migratory swarms of hummers very often here in western NC (at least at our feeders), but when we do it is pretty amazing. my wife & i have stood still just a few feet away and they will buzz all around us. unfortunately, the tiny flocks are so transient they're never around long enough to 'train' them to perch on a finger. they usually come & go within a couple days.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's really cool. I always like putting food out for them, their a neat little bird. It's amazing you where able to hand feed them like that. Just a suggestion maybe some safety glasses those things are so fast and they get aggresive with each other. You never know.
Mike
That would never happen. They are vocally aggressive and if that doesn't work they will bump wings.
Kevin P.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Originally Posted by Mike Cirelli
Mike
That would never happen. They are vocally aggressive and if that doesn't work they will bump wings.
Kevin P.
Never say never! My Mom said you could put an eye out doing that sort of thing! :justkidding: Besides, vocally aggressive sounds like verbal abuse, and I thought that was to be avoided!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Their mid-air collisions are something to hear. It sounds like sticking a piece of paper into the blade of a table fan. While they appear to be gentle and timid creatures, they're actually ornery little varmints (with each other, not w/humans).

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know, they visit my back yard on a regular basis, and boy, do they love to tease my cats! They hover just out of range until the cat can't take it any more, and when the cat creeps forward, zoom, off they go! Then they repeat over and over!

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
Abigail, you may come to my yard and bring the camera crews. I have them all summer long. I usually have 4-8 at flying around. I sit outside and eat by one of my feeders and watch them quite often.
The pictures are amazing! I know I couldn't ever sit still enough to do this. Thanks for shaing :clapping::tiphat::banana:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Never say never! My Mom said you could put an eye out doing that sort of thing! :justkidding: Besides, vocally aggressive sounds like verbal abuse, and I thought that was to be avoided!

Hasn't every kid heard that from his mother.
Hummers are just smarter than people.
Kevin P.

Latest posts

Sponsors