Printing plate by Paul Revere

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
paul_revere.jpg

Most Americans know that Paul Revere was a silversmith, but did you know he was also an engraver? Here's a Masonic publication from 1984 which features a notification engraved and printed by Paul Revere (signed at the lower right). As you can see, old Paul was quite handy with a graver! / ~Sam

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Sam...I have a picture of a famous painting of Paul Revere sitting at his bench with a silver bowl, a leather pad, and two hand tools. I don't know why we don't make him our Patron Saint? Ben Franklin is the Patron Saint of printers. If I can find that print of Paul I'll put it up so that everyone can see it.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
This link gives you a great deal of information on Paul Revere..very interesting read:
http://www.cvesd.k12.ca.us/finney/paulvm/h2_hist.html

Sam..I couldn't find the print, but we Googled up this information and there is a thumbprint of the print I was referring to. What a career he had..not only a silversmith, and engraver, but he moonlighted as a dentist, and had 16 kids...with 2 wives.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA

Sam

Staff member
JJ: I believe this is the print you're speaking of. It was painted in 1768 by John Singleton Copley.

Attachments

• paul_revere2.jpg
    paul_revere2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 101

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam would the original engraving used to print the original publication, have been engraved on wood, copper or steel, or was it etched. Just curious if there is characteristics to look for too determine what was used. Usually etching can be recognized a little easier.
Mike

Sam

Staff member
Mike: I'm guessing that at this time period it would have been hand engraved and not etched. I believe it would have been on a steel plate, but I'm not sure about that. / ~Sam