Just one cents worth of engraving

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just thought I'd post this penny I was diddling on. I first saw these on Sam's site. They're a lot of fun, and good practice. The only trouble is that nobody can see what you did without magnification.
Mike

Attachments

• penny.jpg
    penny.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 248

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Bill I did. I never thought he would get it but he did, and sent me a personalize letter. It was kind of cool when the White House called the store asking for me, it wasn't the president, they had to verify some things about it.
Thanks Mike

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mike: nice work on the penny! They're fun to engrave. I received a commission to do one which I charged $500 for. Of course doing one for the prez is extremely cool! / ~Sam

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Sam, how much did the material cost you on your $500 sale? Is every one aware that the copper pennies stopped being copper in about 1986? They are plated zinc now. The amount of copper in a penny was worth more than a penny. At least one agency got something right!:p

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Mike, do you have a picture of the penny you did for the President?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Glenn: The customer provided the penny for the $500 engraving, so my material cost was zero!

1981 was the last year of copper pennies.

Mike

Copper Pennys are great to work with they have the feel and cut of sterling silver.
Love what you did. I think after 20 years it's time for me to get a scope?

God Bless
Ron Proulx

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Ok, OK, I stand corrected. Talking about pennies. A couple of decades ago I purchased a penny collection at an auction. I paid something like $150.00. Here two or three years ago I thought I'd look at them (having never opened the box). In there, I found a 1909 svdb in mint condition ( it acually looks uncirculated). Maybe I should engrave it so as to enhance its value?????
So, I'm not a collector.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Glenn Here is the one I submitted to President Bush. I don't think I would want to engrave an ucirc. 1909 vdbs, but you may want to have a reputable coin professional look at it. The 1909vdbs was a choice of counterfeiters from what I understand. I had one at one time, got in change when I was a kid. Someone stole it out of my collection and I quit collecting.
Mike

Attachments

• GW BUSH.JPG
    GW BUSH.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 70

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam's pennies are killer. He has one posted on masterengraver.com but I've had the opportunity to see others and they are unbelievable. For how little they are they sure do suck up some hours though.
Not to change the subject but I'm going to anyway. I think since Sam is the head honcho of this forum it should be necessary for him to post an item engraved by him at least once a quarter. All in favor say I.:)
Mike

Sponsors