Printing Plate

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Well, here is the printing plate I have been working on. We ran off the copies last week and I was pleased with the result. I do have to make some adjustments in my shading, for next time, the prints transfer a bit darker than I thought so my scroll shading came out a bit dark in spots. The prints are drying now so no pics yet, but when they are handleable I will be sure to post them. Let me know what you think. Thanks, Brian

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian that looks great. You say this was done for printing purposes. I'm just curious but what do you do with the prints. The scroll has wonderful shading and depth. The scene in the middle also looks quite flawless.
Thanks for posting it.
Mike

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Brian, you've done an excellent job on the plate. The scrollwork is wonderful, and should be studied by all who are interested in learning to draw scrolls. The scene is nicely done, and I'm really happy you posted these photos. / ~Sam

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
brian, I agree woth everyone (no surprise here) that your work is subperb ~ Now, what is the sixe of this print and how much are you charging us for a print ? Best regards, Ken

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the compliments. The plate is 4 1/2" x 6", which does'nt sound that big for wall art, until you start cutting, then it seems like acres. As far as pricing the prints, I am not sure where to begin, I made an edition of 16, and the plate took about 15 full days to engrave. I really have no examples to go off of, most plates are acid etched, which takes a fraction of the time, so they can be sold cheaper and if I price it as an engraving, I may not be able to sell them at all. I was contemplating $300 but I am not sure if that is to much or if I am shorting myself. So if anyone has any suggestions, let me know, any advice would be helpful. Thanks, Brian P.S. The prints will be available after Jan. 27.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian.

Great work, love the intertwining scrolls! Just a reminder from an old etching printmaker. Remember that your signature is going to print backwards. So sign and number your prints in pencil at the bottom of the finished prints. Use high quality 100% rag papers. Also, you can alleviate some of the problems with print areas that are too dark with judicious handwiping the inked plate. Just put some powdered chalk or even talc on the heel of your hand or fingertips and carefully "wipe" the areas of ink that are too dense on the plate before printing. Dont' try to wipe with a cloth, it will pull too much ink from the lines. It takes some experimentation but once you find the right combination, it is quite repeatable from print to print. Just make sure you write detailed notes to yourself on the wiping pattern if you don't plan on printing the entire edition at once. Best of luck with your sales, you deserve a good price for this work.

Mark

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Contact Robert Swartley about pricing. He's been doing prints for a long time.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Contact Robert Swartley about pricing. He's been doing prints for a long time.

Good idea, Sam.
Another engraver that does some beautiful printing is Jim Blair from Wyoming.
Both Bob and Jim are great guy's and might give some valuable input regarding pricing.
That's a fine looking plate, Brian.
Congratulations. Thanks for sharing it with us.
John B.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Another very good source for print pricing and the skill of printing is William Gamradt who is a director in FEGA. He resides in Missoula, MT. Bill is very generous with his time when it comes to helping fellow engravers.
gamradt@gamradtgallery.com

Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian
Whe I used to do printmaking in school.we wiped the ink off the intaglio plates with a nylon stocking. This got the ink off the surface without pulling it from the lines.
Marty

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks everyone for all the printmaking advice, there are some good tips I will keep in mind for my next plate. Also to put everyones mind at ease I put my name on after the prints were made. It marks the end of the edition. The plate and prints will be at my booth at the Fega show so if you are in the area stop by. Thanks again, Brian

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great work Brian. Who woulda thunk I was sitting next to the next "Master" in Rex's GRS class? Wish I could be in Reno to visit with you a little, but Miss Mary's broken foot has taken the funds and time away this year. Keep up the good work.

Bill

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Love the flow of your scroll framing around that Brian.

Looks really energetic. Very appropriate for the theme.

Ray

Latest posts

Sponsors