What digital cameras?

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just tried to take my first pictures of a knife and a sterling silver ring that I engraved. I have what I thought was a good 7.2 megapixel camera but the macro focus doesn't focus close enough for details to really show up well. I can use the zoom feature on the camera to see the image pretty well, but still not adequate for posting.

What cameras do you guys use? Some of the photos I see posted are great. Back in the "old" film days I could get fine macros with a close-up lens and macro focusing rail and bellows system but I'm not ready to spring for an expensive through the lens digital with interchangable lenses etc. Is there a less expensive camera that truly takes good macros?

Mark

digital cameras

Hi Doc: I use a Kodak 7590, with a screw on post that came with my $99 dollar portable studio, I dont use the lights with the studio because you cant find any better lighting than the outdoors, under a tree works well. The post enables me to get the image I want. My kodak does not have the interchangable lens and I have used both macro settings and auto focus, I will post some of my practice plates on the Cafe as soon as it stops raining here in Fla. Ps. my camera now costs less than $300. Jack Davenport, by the way this is a SLR CAM. - 5 MEGA PIX

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mark: The best point-and-shoot digital I ever owned was a Nikon Coolpix 5400 5.2 megapixel camera. The Coolpix series cameras have always had very good closeup capabilities. Keep in mind that when you zoom, the minimum focusing distance will change, so you'll get closest focusing at widest angle, not zoomed. More important than the camera is the lighting. Refer to the iGraver tutorial on photography and build or buy what you need. A cheap camera with proper lighting will out perform a $5000 camera in bad light.

I now shoot a Canon 20D DSLR with a 150mm macro lens. / ~Sam

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
I got myself a D200 Nikon. It does amazing things for $2000.00 USD, But ya know l got my wife a P3 Nikon and it does the
same stuff for $400 Canadian. I still look pretty good holding the D200. Size counts.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
The Olymous SP500UZ is a great camera for the $$. It has a 10x telephoto lens and a really nice macro all in one. It takes sharp pic's in normal, tele or macro. I used it to take pictures in Mr. Alafano class in October (GRS). This is a picture of a disk that was engraved by Brad Esslinger of GRS.

Attachments

• PA060036 (Small).JPG
    PA060036 (Small).JPG
    58 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
Doc,

You didn't list the camera that you have now.a camera is just another tool,they take time and effort to use them and get the results that you are looking for. a must for macro shots is a good stable tripod,next the lighting needs to be right for the subject matter.check the knifenetwork.com photography forum,most of your questions can probably be solved there. photo of a trantula foot shot with a nikon 4500 coolpix by my son.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for all the info guys!

The only digital camera I have is a CASIO Exilim EX-Z750, a 7.2 megapixel "point and shoot". It does have manual settings but can only focus at a distance of greater than 4 inches. Now I know that that sounds very close, and it is, but the ACTUAL IMAGE that appears at that focal length, is too small unless you go to a photo program and "blow-it-up". I'm used to true macro lenses and bellows which allow one to fill the frame with the close-up image.

Sandy, I saw an Olympus SP-510 UZ, which is the same as the SP-500 except it's 7.1 megapixel, on sale on an internet site for $233.00 . I thought that was a very reasonable price. I'm going to try and find one at a local shop and try it out. But, I'm also looking for Nikon Coolpix cameras to compare.

Thanks again,

Mark

Harold

I use a Sony Handycam/HDR-HC3 HDV for my video and pictures. I am the weak link in my picture taking. All of the pictures on my web site were taken with it. The pictures are not edited at all so that is what you get from this camera.

Last edited:

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Doc,
Good luck in your search. I also have a sony FD Mavica. I use it with a bore scope to take pictures/videos inside of rifel barrels. It is a little to bulky but does a great job. I like the Olympous best. It is small light and takes great pics and it is real easy to use. I also like the XD card better then the floppies. I guess what you need to do is define what you want to do; then how much you are willing to spend to get there.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
steer way clear of fuji film fine pix z-3.. the thing will take a30 minute movie with sound. amazing! but try to get a reasonable closeup that's in focus ? 1 shot in 5 or 6 might be in proper focus. i loved my old sony mavica. it took the floppy. but it finally died of old age. these little pocket marvels, i think most are a waste of cash and high hopes.

Sam

Staff member
I had the same Sony Mavica that wrote to floppy disks. It was an amazing closeup camera for a point-and-shoot.

I think there are some good pocket cameras with decent macro capabilities, but if you're serious about getting good photos of your engraving (and all engravers SHOULD be), an investment in a digital SLR is the way to go. Prices have never been better than they are now.

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
Buy a used digital SLR off Ebay. Get either a Canon Digital Rebel or one of the Nikons. Selling used they go for less than a new point and shoot and the difference in quality is very evident. That and the plethora of lens available make them a best bet.

Sam

Staff member
I only own one non-Canon lens, and it's a good one. It's a Sigma 150mm macro, and is very sharp. The autofocus is awfully slow, but I manually focus closeup shots anyway. It's quite a bit cheaper than a Canon 180mm macro, and delivers the quality shots I need. I also like the perspective and working distance of the 150. Coupled with a new or used Digital Rebel or Nikon DSLR, you have a wicked setup.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I suggest spending some time at www.dpreview.com. They have just about everything you can want to know about digital cameras and forums for every manufacturerer as well as specs and prices on everything.

Like most electronics however, models and prices are always changing.

Good luck,
Peter

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've been researching and usually buying through ...PRICEGRABBER.COM. Good reviews and then they find the cheapest price for you and rate the venders.

Marty

Sam

Staff member
Marty: Pricegrabber is very good, but when it comes to camera gear, there are lots of crooks and shady dealers. RESELLERRATING.COM is a great place to see how resellers are rated for service and honesty. It seems that more crooked dealers are involved in pro level photography equipment than consumer cameras. When it's all said and done, most serious photographers buy from B&H Photo in NY. They're honest and very reasonable, and don't play the price games that so many others do.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is very true Sam. The camera indusrty or the sellers have always been very shady with phony markdowns and everything else. Usually there are only maybe half a dozen that come to the surface as old line and reliable. B&H is one along with 47th street photo.

Latest posts

Sponsors