First handmade and engraved patch box

Bama

Elite Cafe Member

Merry Christmas everyone. I am thankful that I can celebrate the birth of Christ. I ask that everyone remember to say a prayer for our members of the Armed Forces that are away from home this Christmas, I pray that they will all be safe and return home to their families soon.

This is my first hand made and engraved patch box. I know I have a long way to go but I have to start somewhere so here it is. I have been doing a little hammer and graver stuff but this is my first real attempt to this big of a project. I am taking a GRS class in April and I am looking forward to it. Please feel free to comment with suggestions.

Again have a Merry Christmas

GeorgeKhayata

Merry Christmas to you too,
I share with you prayers for all members and for the American troops all over the world and specially in Iraq to return home safely.
It is a good start, as long as you love what you are doing I am sure you will be better by practicing more and more.
God bless you and bless all members.
George

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi Bama. I wish the photo showed more detail in the engraving. I'd like to see it. ~Sam

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
Bama, your engraving, for a late 18th early 19th century american longrifle, is absolutely wonderful. As Kent said, it's "right". It has warmth and character and the design and execution is excellent. I think we all should strive to do the very best we can. However, with regards to longrifles, here's the conundrum, in our quest to be our best, our work often becomes cold and lacks soul. As our design and execution improves, we get "further from the truth" as it were. If your goal is to build historically accurate reproductions of late 18th early 19th cent longrifles, you will have to somehow retain your existing ability to capture that feel as your ability progresses. If you intend to build contemporary longrifles, then improve away. The reason people are in aw of Eric Kettenburg's work is not because it's perfect. It's his ability to capture the warmth and character of the originals. I see that in your engraving here. OK, I'll get off my soapbox now. Great job.

Cody

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I love your engraving, Bama and think it is historically correct for this piece.
Simple, warm and elegant.
Cody hit it right on the head with his post.
Just to add my two cents.
John B.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Cody, I gotta chime in here. You said what I meant about it being right for the time period.
As you know,most of the original (rifles) are line & border cuts. Actual modern "gun" or knife engraving is very different from the 18th cent. roccoco style. Bama's got the box on a capital piece of maple , I'm sure the rest of the rifle is "right", too.:D Its sometimes hard to capture the feel, look of the originals when one gets too far forward in this craft. One reason I'm sticking with the hmr & chsl. for now, keeps me in the right mind frame.
happy New Year,
Kent

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
this piece is right where it should be. this is exactly how a lot of the old engravings looked. as far as being your first, it surely doesn't look like a "first".

Latest posts

Sponsors