A couple of Spydies

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi guys

Firstly, I'd like to wish a Merry Christmas to you all (I refuse to be PC and wish 'happy holidays') and I hope you are all having a wonderful, festive time with your loved ones. The Mem Sahib has just put the turkey in the oven and dinner is well under way so I thought I'd share a couple of pictures with you. I took an order at The Game Fair for a scrimmed and engraved Spyderco Kopa Evrina. It depicts the client's pointer and has English fine scroll on the bolsters. Phew......just got it to her for Christmas!

The second one, a Delica II, was also comissioned after the Game Fair and the guy picked it up yesterday. He was over the moon with it. He likes to go squirrel hunting with friends in the US so thats what he wanted on the knife along with some of 'my style' (LOL) large scroll.

I hope you enjoy looking at them.

Kopa Evrina

Delica II

all the best,
Marcus

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Merry Christmas, Marcus! Thanks for posting these two beautiful engravings. They are very well done. One thing that really strikes me about the fine English scrollwork on the top one is the perfect proportional shape of each scroll. As you know, many engravers have difficulty with that.

The bottom knife is very bold and striking and nicely shaded. I like how you incorporated a banner into the design. Excellent! / ~Sam

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Mr's. Marcus & Sam ----- The merriest Christmas to y'all and your loved ones.

Marcus, It never occured to me that Brits went in for turkey as we do --- amasing how little I know. and, thanks for NOT being pc !! There are many of us conservative types who don't subscrube to liberal dogma. Anyway, I agree with Sam ---- those are two great looking pieces of work ! I never tire of looking at well thoughtout & executed engraving. I will be revisiting these pic's many more times today. I have a Coggy in the vice now for recutting & the original engraving doesn't approach the quality of your work. I wonder if you would forward me an email with these pictures attached --- I can see/study them better with my one working eye on the monitor. Many thanks for the favor. Ken AKA Ol hacken-slash

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful work. Your engraving does inspire old scratchers like me. Thanks for sharing and please post more of your work. Thanks, Glenn

glendikes

Very nice work. Thank you for sharing your art. Always remember the reason for the season. Merry Christmas to all.

Celebrating the Wonder,
Glen Dikes
Warr Acres, Oklahoma, US of A

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
Merry Christmas Marcus. The bottom knife is just another example of why you are my favotite engraver of all time. Thanks for sharing

Cody

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Merry Christmas Marcus,
He likes to go squirrel hunting with friends

First I can’t understand why these guys shoot so beautiful animals…. then I thought there are other countries were guys eat frogs :D

Your engravings are superb as usually .

Joyeux Noël

Jean

Magnus Jensen

Super work Marcus!
They are so well balanced, it´s CANDY for the eyes!
Merry Christmas from Sweden to you and all of the members of this great forum!

Abigail

Administrator
Hi Marcus!
Merry Christmas to you and your family! Thank you for sharing your photos. Beautiful!

Oh..by the way...I posted a message to you somewhere else here in the cafe but I can't remember where. This place is growing! Anyway, the message said something like: Hey Marcus, it's your turn to count the number of members that have posted their names and locations on the list I made. I counted last time. Your turn!:)
Cheers!
Abigail

Jim Small

Marcus
Another beautifully designed engraving piece. I would very much like to add the photos to my picture files.
Thanks very much for posting them.
Hope you and your loved ones had a very nice Christmas and of course, all of us wish for you and your a very prosperous New Year.
Jim

hunger and woodcraft

Harvesting this earth's bounties have fed hungry people here and in those other countries as well, believe me you can eat anything that moves in the woods if you get hungry enough and have the skills needed to harvest food, this instinct is ancient and will someday be valuable to some of us. By the way we eat frogs, alligators, softshell turtles, and swamp cabbage-Sabal palm, here in Florida. thanks for the photos of the knives Marcus, hope I can someday produce at your level of expertise. The Scrimshaw reminds me of an old friend that I hunted with. Jack Davenport.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus, I guess I got a dumb question here, is it "worth" putting your master engravings on a modestly priced knife such a Spyderco's?
Not that there is anything wrong with the Spydies but............man , those two examples are absolutely stunning.
The squirrel is fabulous! One of my favorite small game aninmals, cagey & tasty too.
Just wondered what your thoughts are.
Kent

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks guys for all your kind remarks.

Kent, this is always a dilema whether or not to engrave something which isn't always considered the 'best canvas'. Not everyone can afford hand made knives or guns but would still like something personalized. The clients saw my work at the Game Fair and commissioned my work specifically on these Spyderco's. I happen to consider them a great knife for the money and a nice canvas for engraving. Zippo's are another 'fun' item for embellishment but aren't worth a lot.

I'll throw this one back at you.... why bother engraving one of those brass Winchester's or an S&W handgun? They certainly aren't in the Purdey league or price bracket. Does this mean they aren't worthy of engraving? The canvas and paint of a Rembrant is only worth a few bucks.

cheers,

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus,
I'm a little lost on your last post. Is your engraving fee the same for the spydero as an equivelant amount of engraving on a Purdey? I would estimate that your engraving fee for this knife is $500.00 plus USD at least 10 to 15 times the price of the spydero. This makes me wonder if the dollar investment in the spydero was a consideration vs the investment in a Marcus Hunt engraving. I'm not trying to be critical. I'm just trying to get my mind wrapped around the whole picture. I need your help to figure this out. Thanks for tolerating my questions!:confused:

Latest posts

Sponsors