New member intro

Dmitry Martinov

Elite Cafe Member
Hi forum people !

My name is Dmitry Martinov, I'm russian gold/silversmith from Latvia. I think that I found what I was looking for to get help and information about the engravers and engraving art. I hope with you help to achieve the high level in this type af art. In the next year I think I will take some courses in Belgium at Alexandr Sidorov school.
1. I have some level in traditional engraving (I will show some pictures) and I would like to ask to find out what kind of courses I need to start from "Basic" or "Avanced"?
2. On a GRS tools web site they are offering to buy some books which can help to create scrolls. What will be the your suggestions guys about this kind of litrature?

With all due respect
Dmitry

Attachments

• kuropatka2 (Medium).JPG
    kuropatka2 (Medium).JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 1 (Small).jpg
    1 (Small).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 3 (Small).jpg
    3 (Small).jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 4 (Small).jpg
    4 (Small).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 87
  • house1 (Medium).jpg
    house1 (Medium).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 112

D.DOUGLAS

Elite Cafe Member
Dmitry, hello very intresting pictures! were they fabricated? I will second what john recomended i found his books very helpful. Doug

Dmitry Martinov

Elite Cafe Member
to D.DOUGLAS, this pieces are made by me. This are the business cards stands. Everything in this house made custom, there is no casted details, it containes 7 pieces which screwed together. The base is square 100x100 mm, about 195 mm high and weight of 230 gr (Sterling silver). It took 6 weeks to make it.
Here some more pictures of my works.

Attachments

• mirror (Small).jpg
    mirror (Small).jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 104
  • ram (Small).jpg
    ram (Small).jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 103
  • oldmap (Small).JPG
    oldmap (Small).JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2170 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2170 (Small).JPG
    52 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Dmitry,
It's good having you in the forum. I like all you have shown us. The card stand are well done . What are you using to do
your engraving, push engravers, hammer engraving, or power engraving? A little of everything, maybe?

Dmitry Martinov

Elite Cafe Member
to Jim: Hi ! I use only traditional way of engraving, now as I understand it also called, work made by push engravers. I just never saw or heard this expression. I dont't even know how many degrees my gravers is sharpened :confused:

William Grubb

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Dmitry,
Welcome to the forum. I think from your pictures posted that you have a very good start ,but I would suggest buying Sam's video on how to sharpen gravers, it will explain the proceedures ,and correct angles to sharpen gravers so that all your gravers will be the same each time you use them .It is the best graver sharpening video I know of. Other than that your engravings tell me that you are ready for an advanced class.:)

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
What your do works

Hi Dmitry,
Dmitry, your probable a natural. Which mean you get how to do this stuff because it feels right and it works.
You don't really need to question it to much. If your interested, I would say your probable at 45° for the face angle.
It seems to cut well for push gravers without to much back pressure. Your probable a young guy, and they use even
less like 40° because they have the reflexes of a cat. Nice Job on the little house.

Dmitry Martinov

Elite Cafe Member
To Jim, Hi again ! Yes Jim, I think the face angle is about 45' and they sharpened until 'mirror' surface. When I was started to learn the engraving I didn´t even know that somewhere people sharp them on some special disks or whatever. So, Jim , what is your oppinion about what kind of classes level I need to take: 'basic' or 'advanced' ? In major I´m interested to engrave both the jewellery and steel using GRS tools. :confused:

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Dmitry,
Depends what you can handle money wise. These classes can be expensive.
From what I've seen you could probable go right into advanced and get
up to speed quickly. If you have the time and money, take the beginners,
because there is a lot of good information in them. Then take the advanced.

In the time in between, try to get hold of a microscope.
Your engraving will improve X 10 . It's good now but you'll make the
guys in the Hermitage look sick. I know there are Okay microscopes
in Russia because I have one. I know you know someone who can
get you a good price on one. That is a Russian thing.
Ask them to include a half power reducer lense (objective, I think it called).
This will give you more distance between the scope and your work.

It should be a binocular microscope. The kind use for biological stuff.
Low magnification, your not trying to put your engraving on the head of a
pin. Not yet anyway.

Last edited:

Dmitry Martinov

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Harold and Jim. The guys from Hermitage is very hard to make sick, trust me. Here some link to knife makers in Russia, unfortunately in English version the information is less than in Russian. The first link to the front page :http://www.russkie-palaty.ru the second one to the collection of the knives: http://www.russkie-palaty.ru/a1.html I think you will handle this, there are 15 pages and it will be not hard for you to click between them. If you will need some translation just give me the direct link on page and number of a picture. I hope you will like this. And some more from my work in silver.:)
material: Sterling silver, weight: 238 gr, more than 50 details; the work took 1 month to be made.

Attachments

• dandelion.jpg
    dandelion.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 41

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
I would say my American brothers are going to have to pick up the pace some. Looks like some pretty
stiff competition from Russia. Thanks Dmitry

ps. The rest of you knife engravers should look at this.:eek:

Dmitry Martinov

Elite Cafe Member
:) I don't know how about competition between this countries, because in Soviet Union time people was thrown in the jail for making stuff like this. After the Union collapsed people and old masters started to raise old traditions of knifemaking and for this period I think they achieved good level.

Jim-Iowa

Elite Cafe Member
That Dandelion shows fantastic realism! At first I would have said the only thing missing is a honeybee collecting pollen(I'm a beekeeper as a hobby). But is that a grasshopper I see on the right horizontal leaf?

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Dmitry,
The dandelion is impressive. Is this what you do to earn a living or
are you a jeweller. I would think the dandelion would have taken
40 to 60 hours to complete. Six casting and the rest fabricated out of
sheet and wire? Are you doing all this by yourself? Where is your market?
Who's buying. Local or do you export? The only other person I've talk to lately
that does this sort of thing is in England and was part of the Royal network
of craftmen. He on his own now. Is there a lot of New Money people in Riga
with good taste?

Latest posts

Sponsors