Votes: 13 11.2%
  • 41-50 Years

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 50+ Years

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know there is a wealth of experience on the forum. :) How many years have you been at the bench?

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Tira,
When I started to work for a Jeweller it was 31 years ago. It was for Sam Giacchina Jeweller in down town Detroit.
Christian DeCamillas had been working for Sam for about a year. Christian work there for just under a year while I was there.
Then he headed to northern Michigan and I went to Canada. While here in Canada, I started using
GRS equipment 16 years ago and started to actually engrave about 12 years ago.
The attachment was a one of my first practice buckles.

Attachments

• buckle-samp-Oh1a.jpg
    buckle-samp-Oh1a.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

Santo

Elite Cafe Member
I just started after finding this guy named Alfano on the web one day. Now I don't know if I should thank him or cry -- either way now I'm hooked :eek: -- but, I've always been crazy, it keeps me from going insane!! Thanks Sam:D and thanks Jim Z for sharing -- it helps.

S~

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Tira.
Been at it for more than 60 years, off and on.
Much more in the last 25 year, though.
Love some of the projects you tackle.
Best regards, John B.

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
Well Mr. John, you have my 48 years by a tad --- guess thats cause your older than me, at least I'm uglier ;^))

Santo, I think Sams to be praised for getting you started. Uou appear to be a tad younger than me (68) and we all need something constructive to do in our declining years, --- keeps us off the streets and out of trouble. I plan on scratching steel up till the day the good Lord calls me home.

Merry Christmas to all !!! Ken

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I took a class at GRS 10/05 and have had my eguipment just over a year. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to spend as much time as I had envisioned practicing. I hope to get to a level to start posting some work soon.

Peter

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I started about 8 years ago. Made my own hammer and handpiece at the farm shop and started metal disfiguring during the winter after hours when I wasn't farming fulltime. Come spring the tools got a rest for about 8 months. Lousy way to get any better. One day I decided there are easier ways to be poor than farming. The farm is now sold and I'm about to become a city boy with a neighbor for the first time in my life. I hope they can make the adjustment.:D

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I started piddling with engraving in 1971, but didn't call myself an engraver until '79 or '80.

Kerry Bogan

I started about 10 years ago with Neil Hartleaps book and home made tools. About four years ago I got more serious and decided to stop teaching myself (I had a poor teacher) and started taking courses which has helped a tremendous amount (relatively speaking).
Kerry

Latest posts

Sponsors