New forum for Cafe member tips

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've created new read-only TIPS FROM CAFE MEMBERS forum which we'll use to archive some of the outstanding and informative posts by Cafe members. Some of you have posted some fantastic tips, and I'd like to keep them in a place where they can be easily located.

Season's greetings / ~Sam

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for you efforts to keep everything organized. Great forum that just keeps on getting better.

Yves Halliburton

Elite Cafe Member
Graver Profile

My first introduction to sharpening was with Sam in my beginnings class and I have used is profile since. I love to sharpen and enjoy the look of my graver tips. I use the same method as sam with one extra step. I had a little trouble making the rounded profile on top of the graver uniform and my tips never looked perfectly uniform. I solved this by using the sharpening fixture. I put the graver in the fixture (with the rubber handle) and set the rake for 10 deg and rotate the fixture from 45 deg to 45 deg continuously by the rubber handle until I get a smooth profile. I use both the 260 and 600 wheels. By doing this I get a perfect uniform profile.

Latest posts

Sponsors