practice plate

jacques herbst

Elite Cafe Member
here is a practice plate i am working on.the dots are fine silver and the little leaves are 18 karat gold.thanks for looking and feel free to comment.i am a biginner and need the help.the size of the silver dots are 1mm,if that helps.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Jacques: You're off to a very good start. Your layout is quite good and evenly spaced. I'm happy to see that you're beveling your cuts to the inside of the leaves. This makes the sparkle and increases the feeling of depth. bravo. / ~Sam

jacques herbst

Elite Cafe Member
so far

progres on practice plate.thanks sam the bevel comes from your tutorial.the size of engraving is 22/30 mm.i am fery proud of this and cant stop looking at it.it is the first one that i planed ahead,normaly i just engrave.the shading needs work and i can wait for the next try.

Sam

Staff member
Jacques: you have every right to be proud of this engraving. It is very professional looking. Congratulations. I sent you a package in today's mail. / ~Sam

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That looks good Jacques as Sam says very evenly laid out nice cutting. Are you doing this a push graver?
One thing I might suggest you try with the shading on the multiple leafs. Try shading them somewhat like the large center ones it will give them more depth. I remember on the McKenzie tapes he demonstrates shading like a real leaf veins and shading going straight in, and going straight in does look better. But you may not think so, it just a suggestion.
Good job
Mike

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, is it possible to sent bulino tutorial to forum for us as a Christmas gift?

Happy Holidays to everyone.

LVVP

Sam

Staff member
LVVP: Chris DeCamillis would be the man for that job. Maybe if we're real nice he'll shoot us a series of photos. / ~Sam

Andrew Biggs

Chris DeCamillis did a seminar in 2004 called Bulino Techniques. It's available on DVD at www.fega.com

If you want to treat yourself for Christmas then buy it for $33. He manages to pack a huge amount of information into it and I personaly think it's worth it's weight in pure gold. There is also a duck casting available from FEGA that is used in the seminar that is also well worth buying as you get the depth that he talks about.

Cheers
Andrew

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
As a former student of Chris's, I can vouch for his seminar tape, casting, etc. If you want a real treat, try to get Chris to post his portrait engraving of Gene Hill the sports writer. If you ever get a chance to take his bulino class a whole new world of beauty will open for you. ( Chris paid me to say this. NOT)

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Jaques.
As I said on your post on another forum, you would be well advised inlay and finish down before you cut your scroll with all the fine shade lines.
Much less chance of doing damage to your finished scrollwork.
Other than that, keep on going. You're on the right track.
Best wishes, John B.

jacques herbst

Elite Cafe Member
your advice is always welcome thanks john b:) .its all part of the learning curve and there was damage.o well learned something thoug.i am going to finish it(have to follow trough) and will post the result.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors