Another dog day.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well this is what I've discovered. If I try to upload a picture from my PC to the Forum, having gone through either iCloud or Google drive, then the JPEG is degraded significantly. But, if I do it directly through my iPad, then the same JPEG file is much better. Still not as crisp as the original Procreate file, particularly in the loss of the extremely fine hair detail that Procreate can render, but closer.

After my daughter saw the picture of my sister-in-laws puppy, she thought that her little princess needed a similar portrait.

I must admit that I've always wanted to paint and I have tried my hand at oils, watercolors, acrylics, pastels and airbrush, all with limited success. This new (to me anyway) medium of digital art has finally given me the opportunity to do subtle overlays of tonality or textures without having to wait for the underlayment to dry. This is great for people like me who are impatient to see the final results.

Now if I can only get all the details that I spent hours drawing to reach the printed page, then I will call it a success. Abby_.jpg

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow, I just looked at the picture that I just posted on my PC, rather than the iPad Pro, and it still looks washed out! I thought that I had the problem sorted out, but I guess not. All the subtle tone gradations and individual hairs around the muzzle and in her coat are gone! Frustrating!

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
Mark, that is amazing! Wish I could help with your printing issue but I'm still struggling with the same thing, just not with such lovely artwork.

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Doc, you may just be seeing the difference between the iPad Pro ultra hi-res Retina screen and a plain-Jane computer monitor. Your dog on my iPad Pro screen looks incredible, lots of detail and depth... Plus, you might try lossless image formats like .psd, .tiff, .eps or .png rather than jpeg. Also, if you're using a low quality setting (5 or lower) for your jpeg, that would have significant undesired effects.

Welcome to the digital world...it's a two-edged sword and cuts both ways!

C Driver

I think, I read some where that the best was png, and the worst was jpeg, for transferring .
Really enjoy your work, looks great to me.
Charlie

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
The work looks amazing! Now, about that resolution.... As Tom mentioned, the iPad Pro has an EXTREMELY high resolution screen with the Retina Display... Standard desktop monitors are not as detailed. With that being said, if resolution is a concern, JPG files are pretty lossy on their BEST day.... PDF and PNG would be better choices.

takedeadaim

I would concur on the quality of the Retina displays Apple uses. Ive taken to doing CAD on my MacBook Pro over my PC with a large monitor simply because of the quality of the screen; which equals less eye strain.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You may need to go the tough and time consuming route-the pro route- you need to sink all your devices to the panteck color fan so you see the true color on the monitor, printer in the same colors, scaner in the same colors and transfer in same colors. This is how the pros set up to do art digital work. My blue is different than your blue. there is maybe the problem. It is a time consuming project to det up the first time but art prints are always done that way commercially. When the artist decides what is red yellow and blue based on the pantext fan then that is the end of it. they might have a different perception of what blue is so you must start by syncing all the devices to the artists idea of what blue is.