A Memorial Sauce Pot

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is the last project due out before Christmas and I finished it last night at 3am. It's an aluminum pot that has been cooked in for the last half century. It belonged to an Italian lady who has since passed away and the sauce pot was passed down to her daughter and then her grand daughter. In the pictures only the front was polished, but the entire pot is due to be refinished.

The angels were done with a 115 and the script was done entirely with a flat graver. This is the first time I tried script with a flat graver and it took a long time to finish.

The pot was held with a craftsmen clamp and board in my magna block.

Attachments

• Sauce Pot010-2.jpg
    Sauce Pot010-2.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 178
  • Sauce Pot012-2.jpg
    Sauce Pot012-2.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 161
  • Sauce Pot018-2.jpg
    Sauce Pot018-2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 116
  • Sauce Pot026-2.jpg
    Sauce Pot026-2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 180

Patternweldor

Very nice work on the lettering, It never ceases to amaze me, at what varied items show up as prospects for embellishment. Also the clamping method is very inventive. Thank-you for taking the time for showing that to us, it really helps at times when a person could run across a difficult project...

Top rate work!!
Have a great Christmas
Chris

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Tira, the script is realllllllly nice. I love script lettering, so elegant. The bookend angels are a beautiful touch to finish it off.
Did you use the flat for the hair lines as well?
Merry Christmas,
Kent

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Tira dazzles the crowd once again! Beautiful lettering job, Tira. You could be the only sauce pot engraver on the planet.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice work. I think Sam is right. I would guess it would be difficult to find another! The lettering looks great and I admire your ingenuity in mounting the pot in your vise.

Thaks,
Peter

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
KSnyder -- I used the flat for every part of the lettering including the hairlines. I think next time I may try to use a 90 for the thin parts because it may be easier to see. The biggest problem I had with the lettering was the lip on the pot. I could only cut the letters upward so I had to go from thin to thick back to thin. If I could have started from the top down so the cuts met in the middle it would have been a lot easier.

As an aside to many engravers who may want to try a motorcycle part. This project is the closest thing to doing motorcycle parts that I have come across without actually practicing on the bike parts themselves, which can be expensive. The metal cut in a similar fashion (insert "gummy" and "fights with you" here) and is cheap - you could pick up an old aluminum pot at any thrift store and engrave to your heart's content. One of the more difficult problems in large part engraving is getting used to moving while you engrave. My chair has wheels for a reason. As the pot/board/clamp rotates I have to get out of its way so the graver can stay on track and the turning doesn't stop. An arc for a scroll can run in an 18" circle as the parts swing around (very much like doing the end of a gun barrel that is out from the center of the vise). And it's a convex curve too. It might be an inexpensive way to practice. Just my $0.02. :)

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tira, I wonder why you try to use the magna-block at all on this big things. Seems to me you are going the long way around the block (ha , pun not originally intended) to use the magna block. Something like this I would proabbly have used some bags of lead shot, or sand works as poor substitute, to let the big stuff rest in. Or just use the fixtures that you have and screw them in directly to a bench.

Another thing you might look into is the getting a Versa-Vise for these kind of projects. I think you would find it much more useful.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott - I'm all for new ideas. How would I use bags of shot or sand? How would the pot (object) rotate then? Wouldn't the object tend to "walk" in/around the sand and not stay still? I'm having a hard time picturing what you mean.

I looked up versa vise on google and got a picture of it. It seems to be a rotating vise that bolts down to something. Do you use this vise? It doesn't look like you can change the verticle angle of the object in the vise - it seems just to rotate around horizontally.

Thanks for the info.

Raul Hinz

You are amassing

Tara you are amassing and talented
I am so fortunate to had you in the same advance class
Love your holding rigs
Seasons Greetings and Happy New Year
Raul Hinz:D :D :D :D

Jim-Iowa

Elite Cafe Member
Tira you amaze with your inovative ways to secure odd and large items while you engrave!
Do you wear a "No Fear " T shirt when you engrave? You certainly seem to fear little.
Great job! and a fitting tribute to the original owner of the pot!

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tira, shot bags or sand bags have been an engravers staple for centuries for holding big things like crowns, trophies, loving cups, etc. you just kindof form the object down into the shot bag, but you still have to hold it in place with your hand. There is no real rotation to it, but I figure something as awkard as this and the bells,etc, you are having to do a lot of wrist movement anyway to form the letters.

The Versa Vise as Don said, is able to turn a lot of differnt directions for holding weird stuff. I had one years ago, gave it to somebody along the way since I was'nt taking in much odd stuff in.

Raul, nice to see you, I remember when you took my basic class 4 or 5 years ago? Lets see some pictures of what you are doing

Jim-Iowa

Elite Cafe Member
The Versa Vice is available through Brownells (Gunsmithing supplies) in Montezuma, Iowa.
I used one Tuesday night in a friends Muzzleloading Gunsmithing shop. Bookie to the smokepole crowd.
They are very nice.
I have a cheaper clone from Shop Fox(yet to be mounted), while simular it does not have the front to back angle pivot. I intend to change that by mounting it on a Pana-Vice #400 base I have.
I won't say it is as good as the Versa Vice but I did pay about 1/4 as much for the ShopFox Parrot Vice.

Andrew Biggs

That's great Tira.

You've certainley opened my eyes to the versatility of hand engraving. Untill I started seeing your posts I thought it was pretty much restricted to smaller items.

Your holding jigs are ingenius.

Merry Christmas to you and your family

Andrew

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Tira.
I enjoy see your posts and great photographs of some of the unusual items you engrave.
If I can figure out how I will post a handout from my classes showing a very simple way to make a modification to the Versa Vise to improve it for engravers use.
If I can't figure it out I will send it to Andrew in New Zealand and ask him to post it.
Take care, Merry Christmas.
John B.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hey, it worked.
Thank you Sam and William Grubb for the posting instructions
Got it posted, but if you can't read the old typed instructions I will try to retype them.
John B.

PS. Retyped and posted below. J.B.

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Revised Versa Vise

The instructions on this revision may be easier to read.
Hope this is some help.
John B.

Attachments

• Revised Versa Vise.jpg
    Revised Versa Vise.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 34

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Tira, I used a versa-vice for many years gunmaking. I will turn darn near anyway you want it to, vertical, horizontal, and when properly set when the jaw is tightened the vise doesn't sag or move till you relieve the tension on the jaw.
Mine finally went belly up , the worm screw wore out , after about 20 yrs.I found a new one at a garage sale for $15 dollars once and sold it to a gunmaker friend of mine.:(
I paid $100 for mine long ago. I think i got my monies worth, maybe can still be fixed.
Kent