My first Zippo Lighter Engraving

CUTTING METAL

After taking a scroll drawing class taught by Ron Smith at GRS and mostly engraving hobo nickels - thought it was time I moved out of my comfort zone and attempt some scroll work. Ron said we should use our own designs and not copy someone elses work if we were to grow as artist and engravers. He told us that we would be uncomfortable doing so, but that was the price in moving forward.
Here is my first attempt at my own scroll work and any feedback is very much appreciated. I also made myself use a 120 degree graver for the first time as I normally use a 90. Some of my cuts certainly show that more practice is needed.
:rolleyes:

Attachments

• My Zippo Engraving.jpg
    My Zippo Engraving.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 281

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
A really cool design, I can't critique as I'm not there yet, I like the scroll work as its more open with more negative space. I haven't tried any bulino yet , the wolf looks good.
my $.02
Kent

Harold

Nice work.

I did my 1st zippo yesterday. It was painted or coated and that made cutting it less fun. I did it to fast to get a picture. The woman I did it for said the other side looks bad now. It was just a 3 letter monogram for a local detective.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks good, you have a well balanced design with consistency throughout the pattern and good rhyme to your scrollwork. Obviously as you mentioned there a some execution issues visible, but I know you will overcome this with more practice. Do anohter one and keep up the good work.

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Dick, looking good, like you i need to move out of my comfort zone of carving coins [ps] Dick [cutting metal ] and his wife are special friends of my wife and I.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Nice job on the Zippo, Dick. That chrome skin is tough to cut through. I'd like to see your main scrolls be a bit more proportionally like the chambered Nautilus. It's really important that the backbone of a scroll be drawn as perfectly as possible. Your smaller scrolls are very close, but the large ones are off just a bit.

Keep up the good work, Dick. You did well on this piece. / ~Sam

CUTTING METAL

Thanks to all you fine people and I will certainly use all of your suggestions to improve on my engraving skills. Sam - after looking at the chambered nautilus picture I was able to understand your observation of the scroll backbones much better. You were correct when you pointed out the hardness of the metal skin on the lighter, more fun than I bargined for. Thanks again for being such a great friend to all of us engravers and learning engravers. I wish the Best for the Holidays to everyone on this great forum.

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Dick, when you get time, post some pictures of your hobo nickels you,ve carved for the forum to view.

Latest posts

Sponsors