Just Want To Say Hi

rwalter

Hi everyone,
I am new to engraving and want to learn this great art form. When I say I'm new I mean I have never held a graver in my hand. I need advice on what tools to buy, size,brand etc. what books or videos are best for a newbe. I just finished my first longrifle and would like to engrave it. I'm on a budget so please keep the list to basic tools. Thanks , Roger

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi Roger, and welcome to the Cafe. The lowest cost method would be to buy a few gravers and work with hammer & chisel. I suggest buying a couple of square gravers and a chasing hammer to start with. You'll find sharpening instructions on iGraver, and some of the engravers here can point you to where to buy chisel handles, or you can possibly make them yourself. I'd also recommend a sharpening fixture so you'll get your gravers sharpened right the first time. That'll increase your budget just a bit, but it's money well spent, especially if you're not familiar with graver sharpening. / ~Sam

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Roger, Hope you didn't permanently afix the furniture you expect to engrave.Its much easier to engrave the box , sideplate , or whatever off the gun. When the furniture is still on the gun its tough to hold it and get around it to do the cutting, very awkward.
As Sam said, the square graver with hammer should get you through nicely for you first job. onec sharpened you can use a piece of broom handle or dowel for the chisel.
I only use 2 chisels for my longrifle work , a square & a flat. Most longrifle work is borders and lines with no background work.
I have 20some rifles, pistols, & fowlers under my belt.
This is the best place on the planet to talk, ask, & learn imho.
Kent

rwalter

Sam & Kent
Thanks for your replys. Sam I was thinking about the cocker style jig and dmt stones.Is this system OK?

Kent the only thing that is permanently attached is the nose cap, everything else can be removed. One last question, what would be a good book for the beginner.

Roger

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Roger: My recommendation is saving your money and putting toward a better jig than the Crocker.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
For me, I like Neil Hartliep's softbound beginners engraving book,( it was an NRA publication i think) it cleared up a lot of mysteries that Meek's book started. I felt Neil's illustrations & instructions were easier to understand.Meek"s book is more in depth but a wealth of info after you understand the basics.
Kent

Latest posts

Sponsors