Scroll Developement

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I always am intrigued by how different engraving looks as it developed. When you first start laying out and engraving your scroll it does look rather BLAH and uninteresting. But as you then start to add details and shading it starts to get a life of it's own and becomes much more interesting. Attached are two "quickie" cell phone photos of a shotgun I am working on and just thought I would share with you. The shading is still not complete but is coming along.

Attachments

• IMG_0268.jpg
    IMG_0268.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 166
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 168

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
View attachment 30636 I forgot to include the first photo I took when I first started the engraving.
Fred. The open season is determined by the altitude and lack of oxygen of the particular huntig zone. The less oxygen the better the hallucinations which make for a more exciting "kill". Grotesque dogs are the preferred method of cornering the prey as are nekked ladies. See what you're missing?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 94

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just for a break, I am starting a simple scroll on the top break lever for the shotgun. Here is how I start out. i will take pictures for you as i go along on the scroll so you can see how my mind works as it shows me what to do.
Hope you enjoy it.
Marty

Attachments

• lever.jpg
    lever.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 91

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fred.a horse or mule would kill me. Remember I'm from the Bronx originally. I was up near your old neck of the woods yesterday and the fall colors were amazing. Here's some shots up near Animas Forks and California Gulch
I am also having to get back to the engraving grind at least for a little while and here is another photo of the top lever. The background has been recessed and matted. Now it's on to the shading.

Attachments

• lever 3.jpg
    lever 3.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 90
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 89
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 82
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 84

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK The scroll shading is finished.the weekend is just about here and it's time to go out and play. I hope you enjoyed the photos and thank you for the kind comments. Now go out and have some fun.

View attachment 30688

Attachments

• lever4.jpg
    lever4.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 97

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I started to play with the top tang and wanted to put a sort of face on the very end of it. Between it and the sliding safety I plan on putting a running wheat border but will try and detail it a bit different. Hope it works. Here's a shot of the start of it. Hope you enjoy it and thanks once again for all the comments.
Marty
View attachment 30754

Attachments

• top tang 1.jpg
    top tang 1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 93

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is the finished the shaded top tang design. I might just work on the face next since I have it all jiged up and in place before moving on to the rest of the tang. Lets see how I feel about it tomorrow.

View attachment 30757

Attachments

• top tang 3.jpg
    top tang 3.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 80

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I decided to engrave the face since it was ready to go with the tang being jigged up in thermoloc. Here's the start of it and I will post a finished photo of it when I am finished. Just as an interesting side...the wavey ripples on the thermoloc is my fingerprints from pressing it into place. Sort of gives the whole thing a size reference as to how small everything is.
Thanks once again for all the kind words

Attachments

• top tang 4.jpg
    top tang 4.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 80

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is a photo of the finished face on the top tang. Now all I have to do is try and figure out how I want to work the rest of the tang under and around the lever. Time to not look at it for a few days. Hope you enjoy the results and thanks for the kind comments and "likes"
Marty

Attachments

• top tang 6.jpg
    top tang 6.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 44

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is a photo of the bottom of the receiver so far. An interesting detail on this is the image is a combination of two photos i took while in Prague this summer. The figure is a magnificent silver statue in one of the churches and I combined it with a set of wings from another statue in Vienna. You just never know when or where an image for an idea will present itself.
I did promise Andrew that I would give him a full set of progress photos on this gun with a nice write up for the Engraver Magazine.
Marty

Attachments

• bottom photo.jpg
    bottom photo.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 44

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just thought I would give everyone an update on how the INVERNESS shotgun is coming along. I am working on the figures right now and attached is a shot of where Iam on the right side of the frame at the moment. The lady and the griffen naturally are not finished yet. I have been taking photos as promised for Andrew for the newsletter.
Marty

Attachments

• IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 36

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I finally finished the shotgun with only a few mnor things to touch up. Andrew I have a bunch of photos for you and the newsletter that I will give you in Vegas. Here's a picture of the finished bottom of the gun
Once again thanks for all the kind words
Marty

Attachments

• bottom 10.jpg
    bottom 10.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 42