Stainless steel

Magnus Jensen

I would appriciate if someone would help me out with what sort of stainless steel that is best for engraving.
I am going to do small plates for door bell buttons, and since there posted outside I guess it has to be stainless.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hmmm....well, 416 is what the knifemakers use, and it's very nice for engraving. I don't think it's as rust resistant as the harder stainless steels which contain more chromium. 410 is also nice for engraving, but I'm not sure about it's rust resistant properties either. I believe that the nearly rustproof stainless steels (none are 100% rustproof that I know of) will be very difficult to engrave.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hey Don...that's interesting about the polish. Does polishing close the pores and minimize the areas where rust can form?

Rick Eaton

Elite Cafe Member
416 cuts and machines the best, but must be mildly heat treated to be stain resistant, I like 410 a little better doesn't machine as good, but engraves fine, and I find more stain resistant, don't have to heat treat.
Rick

McAhron

Elite Cafe Member
On one of the various knife forums someone had posted a technical article about acid ethcing stainless to seal the pores and prevent rusting.The article stated the steel may look unetched but in reality the matrix of the steel does oxydize just enough to prevent rust.I have know idea if the article was acurate but it made sense in the way it was explained.Sure wish I could remember where I had read it.

Latest posts

Sponsors