Monogram Mag-Lite Flashlights

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is a follow up post from my request about the 3 letter monogram font. Thank you to everyone who tried to help me understand how to do monograms. I started to draw the letters as many of you had suggested and began to see how they went together. Here are the 6 flashlight end caps. They are anodized aluminum and are in the order I engraved them from the top left - bottom right.

I'm sure there are many pointers you lettering experts can give to me, a monogram novice - let me know so I may be able to improve. :)

Attachments

• Maglite Monogram002.jpg
    Maglite Monogram002.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 279

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Tira, from the looks of it, don't seem like you need any pointers!
How tough/ easy was the aluminum to cut? Although soft I found it difficult to cut and it seemed like the graver/ chisel wanted to dive in.
Kent

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tira,

looks good, I am sure the customer will be happy.

From a technical point, I think the letters would look nicer, and maybe be more distinguishable (maybe both edges of the same coin?) if the horizantal crossover curves were kept to one line instead of two. And if it was me, and I have done a lot of maglites, (probably over 200, initials, names, houses, portriats, coat of arms,etc. ) I would do the vertical wide stem cuts with closelining, that is a series of 3,4,5, or 6 lines parallel in the interior so that the whole letter is silver, and you have no doubt where the upstroke for one letter ends and another begins and what is background and what is inside the two letter verticals

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Who would have ever thought there was a market out there for engraved Maglites! Maybe it's old news, but it's new to me, and I love to see engraving on things I've not seen before. Excellent job, Tira! / ~Sam

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
KSnyder, The flashlight aluminum was fairly consistant to cut. Some cast aluminum bike parts are terrible for cutting and the graver digs in as you say. I didn't have that trouble with the mag-lite aluminum.

Scott, Thanks for the pointers. It occured to me around the 4th monogram that the letters should have different widths at different points (the up-strokes as you point out). At that point I wanted to have them look the same for the customer, but the next set I do will have a different look. Thanks for the parallel line idea in the up strokes too. As they say the devil is in the details. Once I started cutting what I had drawn, I had a much better appreciation of what I should have drawn. I'll be better at the design next time and that should lead to a better execution of the entire project.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
yeah, don't you hate that, you figure out how do something right, and then your stuck doing wrong for the sake of consitency of the rest of the project.

Oh the maglites are machined aluminum, not cast like the motorcycle parts, which is why they cut more consistently.

Last edited:

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
Tira, I think you have done a great job. There are a few things I could add but Scott has alreasy stated my opinions. I'll bet if you started tomorrow doing the same pieces, they would be a great deal better ! Best regards , ken

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cool job Tira. I never considered engraving Maglites or heard of it either. I have several that I use regularly....I think i'll have to give one a try.

Thanks for showing those,
Peter

Norm

These Maglites look great!

Just wondering how the designs are placed on the anodized aluminum. Did you use Transfer wax and a pencil or transfer a photocopy. I imagine using a scriber would be a no-no!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
tira: your flashlight work is far better than mine. but on maglites i cheat i use a 30 watt carbon dioxide laser !
i draw or scan into corel, scale then send out to the laser. now that i've used the taboo word, "laser" i guess
i'll be kicked out of this wonderful cafe. by the way, before being asked to leave, the laser in conjunction with corel draw, can be a very useful layout tool ! monk

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Tira I just bought me a new Mag Lite and you have inspired me to give it a try, thanks.

donnatheeng

script monograms

a book called art monograms by jm berling really helps you get an idea of how certain letter combinations flow .if you can't get a copy i could fax you some pages from mine,technology challenged i don't know how to send those by computer.or if you are interested i can tellyou where you can order the books.there are two on lettering ,one on ornamental designs and ond on hearldric design.i find these invaluable to me. donna the

Latest posts

Sponsors