Signing your work

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have noticed some engraving is signed by the artist and some are not, especially the older pieces. I would like your opinion on signing your work. If production work is involved, such as for an arms company, is it proper and/or acceptable to sign the piece(s), or would you or the company prefer no signature? Also, if you sign your work, how is it signed and where is it normally located? I understand there should be no signature on jewelry.

Bill

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
I leave the gun stuff to the rest of you guys, but in shops I've been in.
If the piece was big and important enough. I would put my mark in it as setter.
The special order jewellers would put there mark in it and the company logo would go
in also with the quality mark. This was for something really expensive ($50,000.00 & up.)
It added cachet to the ring. I don't think you find one in a Zales ring, but ya never know.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Signing work is important. On significant pieces it's a must, and on production work it's recommended but perhaps not done as often. It's possible that the shop or gun company an engraver works for prohibits this. Winston Churchill was asked not to sign his work when he worked for Abercrombie and Fitch, but did it anyhow.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
I agree, I mark most everything I make, knife, rifle whatever if for no other reason than to separate it from the mass produced hoardes of items.
Kent

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I beleive every artisan or craftsman should sign his work for several reasons.

-The artist should get credit for his work.

-To a lot of collectors, who did the work factors into the piece's value

-It keeps future owners honest (can't be sold down the road as something its not)

-I don't know how many times I have ran into people asking "Do you have any idea who did this engraving? I like it and would like to get other stuff from them but can't track down the engraver."

-It will be a great help to museum currators and art historians several hundred years from now. Lets face it, we are creating the future's ancient artifacts.

-Then there have been those few times I have forgot to sign a piece and had the customer ask, "Didn't you like this one enough to sign it?" Signing a work does show that you are proud to have done it and it passed your "seal of approval".

Just my thoughts,

Ray

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
I believe signing your work should be mandatory. Not only does it leave a record of "whodunnit" but makes one realize your name is tied to a good job or one that's not your best --- kinda keeps one on his toes. I only mention this as I have had many apprentist work at my old co. and there were a few who would do a "good enough for goverment job" if not watched. This is not meant to for those on this board however. Those that take pride in their work should be proud to sign it. FWIW, Ken

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
The historian in FEGA is Bob Evans. Bob keeps very good records of engravers and engravings they have done. Bob is always asking for any information that any one may have on engravers. He is extremely helpful for questions asked if he has the information to give. Bob's fax no. is 1-503-656-1708. This is definately a two way street for information transfer. ( Here's a sales pitch to join FEGA)

Norm

I have a question regarding the signing of work. Are there any tips or special methods for engraving the extremely small lettering required to sign work? I have enough trouble with regular or small sized text and have a hard time imagining how to get decent lettering at an appropriate size.

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
I would like your opinion on signing your work.

Bill

Well Bill, there has been some very good, well thought out opinions in favour of signing ones work. I find no fault in the logic presented and would have to say that I agree with it. However, for myself, I have no intentions of signing any engraving of mine. I signed a few of the rifles that I've made but if I had it to do over, I wouldn't have. I'ld just as soon my stuff remain annonymous.

Cody

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
about signing your work

I picket up this older tread to find out. It tells something about the yes or no. But it does not explain where.

As I was asked a few times about the why I signed my bracelet in English and at the inner side of the bracelet, I'm still thinking if there are any rules or guidelines to sing your work, how and where.

So for my next work I have the intention to hide my name( signature) somewhere in the design. Could be on a not shaded leave the way it will look shaded perhaps.

So perhaps I'm missing something and is it already explained in another tread, but I could not find one.

Question: where does one sign his work best and with what? Only the name? And how about the design itself, does it have to be mentioned?

arnaud

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
I don't know if there are rules where to put someones name on. On jewelry (e.g. rings - see picture below) i put my mark into the ring mostly.
If it is an engraved item, i would engrave my name on a place, where it doesn't hurt the design or say better on a place without attracting attention.

Regards, Mario.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mario, about signing jewelry I know how. In Belgium we have a registered "punch". It is needed when one works with precious metals.
In Brussels at the Royal Mint there is a brass plate of mine with 5 stamps on it, that way my work can always be recognized as from me.
Besides the "Master Stamp" we also need to put a official stamp about the alloy. That is the only guarantee for the right alloy to a customer.
The alloy stamp needs to be in a diamond shape having 0750 on it for gold.
And the Master Stamp needs to have the ton shape like I show here. This ton shape tells it was made in Belgium.

While writing this, perhaps having a "Master Stamp" means I'm a Master after all.

In the Netherlands, one had to send his work to a organization that takes care of the alloys, they have your stamp and place it on your work. But you have to pay for that and it takes a bit more time.
So I like the Belgium way more of course.

So if I would do that on a Titanium bracelet it would be OK for Belgium.
On the other hand, a goldsmith in Belgium may also not add his Master Stamp, if he thinks it will ruin the design, especialy for smaller items.

But as member of FEGA, I had to make clear how I would sign my engravings, so I put "arnaud" there, as that is a easier way to find out who made the engraving using the Internet.

I don't have a Titanium alloy stamp yet, as I think that is not important, but of course that way I can not add my Master Stamp as well. So I will order a Ti stamp one of these days as I work a lot in Ti.

Thanks anyway for your reply, arnaud

Last edited:

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
I make many of the articles I engrave so I mark with a makers mark and a quality stamp as required by law when working in precious metals. Most of the time I'll mark a piece unless I forget, that's embarrassing when a client wants to know where is my mark and I can't find it, now that turns into a very quick engraving job. The problem there is a lot of the events/shows I attend are outside. Luckily this forgetfulness has only happened twice.
When it comes to signing only my engraving, I leave that to the customers request, since it's typically on muzzleloaders that the person built.
I'm in favor of signing ones work, for yourself as much as the collector. If it's hand wrought why not be proud enough to sign it? Oh yeah! individual choice, I'm a real fan of having that ability.
Mark

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud,
You are an engraver, why not engrave titanium on the piece as it dosen't matter with regard to precious metals laws in your country.
No need to purchase a stamp.
Keith

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If it's hand wrought why not be proud enough to sign it?

When it comes to muzzle loaders a lot of the old time builders in the Lancaster, PA area didn't sign their work. They believed that talent is God-given and a person shouldn't show such pride.

But, Wallace Gusler (Gunsmith of Colonial Williamsburg) signed his. So, I've signed all of mine also.

I also have a hallmark stamp that I've used in years past that just says MARTIN. I had a new one made recently that looks a lot nicer that I intend on using when the need arises with NLMartin in script.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sorry folks, still don't know if there are any esthetically rules about where to put a name in ones engraving, suppose there are none than.
Thanks for you input anyway.

arnaud

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Arnaud,

While there may not be "rules" for the placement of your mark, usually it is placed fairly inconsipcuously - in a place that does not detract from either the design OR the embellishment...

In personal work I put most of my marks on cuff style bracelets like the one you just did in about the same place - on the inside surface.

I have also "hidden" marks in personal work within the engraving, on the edge of sheet material, inside of bezel settings, and all kinds of other places.

We have several commercial accounts who specify in the contract that no marks are to be made - visible or not visible. They also forbid images of work in progress submitted to publications or posted online... We respect those requests. We have to. They are part of the contract.

Others want us to mark their goods for them with their own proprietary marks or brand. Again, we do what is asked, and place the marks wherever they specify - almost always in inconspicuous places.

Brian

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I can't speak about firearms.

I'm a lapidary/goldsmith in the US. Every piece I make has my mark (logo) next to the quality mark.
I had always heard that it is the law. I have never checked with officialdom.

I have marked everything with my logo; I'm proud of what I do. I want anyone who sees a piece that I am the maker.
The quality mark is necessary to indicate what the metal is; I guarantee the quality by marking it.

The UK has more stringent requirements I believe; James Miller will probably describe the laws for goldsmiths in the UK.
Kevin P.

Andrew Biggs

I personally think that you should sign your work for the reasons that Ray Cover says..........But you also have to take into account Brian Marshall's thoughts.

As to where you sign it. Somewhere discreet and it doesn't interfere with the design. but is still findable. On firearms there seems to be several preferred areas. Sideplates, floor plates, trigger guard etc. Knives seem to be at the rear of the handle. Your name can also be a bit bolder and a design feature on an item. For instance on the back of a bracelet that would normally be blank. (E.G.: Kelvin Klein etc)

This can be as simple as your initials or more complex. It should always be neat and tidy and done well. Lynton McKenzie said that it cost him $30 to sign his own work.

AB
A Biggs
A BIGGS
Engraver A Biggs
ENGVR A BIGGS

Or you can be a bit more radical with........A Biggs, Engraver to the stars, gorgeous women, the super rich and a legend in his own mind :)

The thing to consider is if you want your name to become valuable to a collector weather it be a gun or jewellery item (given time and longevity of course). It is also marketing at its most basic level, or in other words, your business card. Engravers can be like hairdressers and attract a certain following and loyalty from customers.

As for secret signatures incorporated in the design. Not sure about that as it sounds a bit like those books "Where's Wally"..........but hey, why not? In some canvases like rings you may not have any other choice.

Cheers
Andrew

Oh yeah......here's the tip of the day............always plan your signature in advance. It is a real pain to engrave something and then find there is absolutely nowhere to put your name except in a really awkward place

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors